locked
My dreaded WMA streaming bug is back RRS feed

  • Question

  • After rebuilding WHS over the weekend, I decided to use it only as a Music server for a week, and it was working fine for the most part until today, where I started getting a 5-10 second gap in playback about 10 seconds into every new song on my Vista box.  This is one of the main reasons I rebuilt the server last week - to try to rectify whatever was corrupted.  I've checked the logs on both machines, and nothing shows up anywhere.  I also checked the taskmgr on the local Vista box, and saw that while music is playing, the Media Foundation Protected Pipeline EXE runs at about 15%, but as soon as the music stops, it goes to 0%, and the system sits idle.

    Next , I decided to launch the Performance Monitor on WHS to see if it would give me any clues. 

    On the default system monitor, it monitors processor time, disk queue length, and memory pages/sec.  When everything is working as its supposed to, the memory pages/sec rocks between 16 and 30 over and over and over, and then goes to 0 about 10 seconds before the end of a song.  It then spikes to 100 for one second at the beginning of a song, and then goes back to the 16/30 rock.  This seems to indicate that everything is working.

    However, when a problem song starts, plays for 5-10 seconds, and then pauses for 10 seconds, what I notice is that the pages/sec never comes back up from 0 when the last song ended.  So 10 seconds before the last song ends pages/sec goes to 0, and it just stays there for about 30 seconds.  After the next song plays for 5-10 seconds, then pauses for 10 seconds, then starts back up again, the memory pages/sec does it's regular spike to 100, goes back to the 16/30 rock, and all is well.  What I can't seem to figure out is why everything just dies for those 20-30 seconds, between every song.  CPU and disk also sit at 0.  EVERYTHING sits at 0.  It's like something is waiting somewhere for something else, and then finally gives up, and decides to go ahead and proceed.

    I had posted this last week on connect, but then said to mark the bug as resolved, since it didn't come back after I rebuilt.  I'm going to go back to connect and re-post though, as some other problem seems to be floating around.

    Just wondering if anyone else has seen streaming problems on any of their setups?

    Monday, February 26, 2007 8:58 PM

Answers

  • I fixed it! I was using ProcMon to monitor what was happening when the song broke, and the following lines show up each time the music breaks:

    66548 5:24:50.0629001 PM wmplayer.exe 4036 RegOpenKey HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Linkage REPARSE Desired Access: Read
    66549 5:24:50.0629409 PM wmplayer.exe 4036 RegOpenKey HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NetBT\Linkage SUCCESS Desired Access: Read
    66550 5:24:50.0629789 PM wmplayer.exe 4036 RegQueryValue HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\netbt\Linkage\Export BUFFER OVERFLOW Length: 144
    66551 5:24:50.0630010 PM wmplayer.exe 4036 RegQueryValue HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\netbt\Linkage\Export BUFFER OVERFLOW Length: 144
    66552 5:24:50.0630144 PM wmplayer.exe 4036 RegQueryValue HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\netbt\Linkage\Export SUCCESS Type: REG_MULTI_SZ, Length: 1,072,
    66553 5:24:50.0630339 PM wmplayer.exe 4036 RegCloseKey HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\netbt\Linkage SUCCESS

    I don't really know what's happening still, but it definitely pointed to some sort of NIC issues, so I scoured the web for a new NIC driver. My NIC is a Marvell Yukon Gigabit 88E8053. I was using the RTM Vista driver for this (publisher was Microsoft, dated sometime in August), and I managed to find a newer driver at http://www.windrivers.com/VistaDrivers.html
    This driver was a Marvell published driver from December. I don't know whether it's an "official" driver or not, but once I installed it, the pause went away. I'll update the bug in Connect as well.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:00 PM

All replies

  • Can you post the connect link here, I'd like to look into this.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 11:09 PM
    Moderator
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    Can you post the connect link here, I'd like to look into this.


    Thanks, Joel.  The new Connect bus is    260441
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 1:20 AM
  • I fixed it! I was using ProcMon to monitor what was happening when the song broke, and the following lines show up each time the music breaks:

    66548 5:24:50.0629001 PM wmplayer.exe 4036 RegOpenKey HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Linkage REPARSE Desired Access: Read
    66549 5:24:50.0629409 PM wmplayer.exe 4036 RegOpenKey HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NetBT\Linkage SUCCESS Desired Access: Read
    66550 5:24:50.0629789 PM wmplayer.exe 4036 RegQueryValue HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\netbt\Linkage\Export BUFFER OVERFLOW Length: 144
    66551 5:24:50.0630010 PM wmplayer.exe 4036 RegQueryValue HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\netbt\Linkage\Export BUFFER OVERFLOW Length: 144
    66552 5:24:50.0630144 PM wmplayer.exe 4036 RegQueryValue HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\netbt\Linkage\Export SUCCESS Type: REG_MULTI_SZ, Length: 1,072,
    66553 5:24:50.0630339 PM wmplayer.exe 4036 RegCloseKey HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\netbt\Linkage SUCCESS

    I don't really know what's happening still, but it definitely pointed to some sort of NIC issues, so I scoured the web for a new NIC driver. My NIC is a Marvell Yukon Gigabit 88E8053. I was using the RTM Vista driver for this (publisher was Microsoft, dated sometime in August), and I managed to find a newer driver at http://www.windrivers.com/VistaDrivers.html
    This driver was a Marvell published driver from December. I don't know whether it's an "official" driver or not, but once I installed it, the pause went away. I'll update the bug in Connect as well.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:00 PM