2 servers in same house RRS feed

• Question

• i have an SBS 2008 machine at my house only serving up a few Exchange/Outlook accounts over HTTP...i just setup a Windows Home Server 2011 machine and would like to know the best way to get it going...i have a single router (Linksys E4200) and i have 2 static IP addresses...before getting the WHS 2011 machine i just put the static IP for the SBS machine into the router...but, i'm thinking that i should just assign each computer their own static IP addresses.  I know SBS wants to be the DHCP server, so i'll disable DHCP.  Is this the correct way?  I tried giving the WHS machine its static IP but it didn't work - i have a suspicion that the tech gave me the incorrect IP address though, so i'm waiting for him to verify.

All i care about from the SBS box is that the end user can get his mail over HTTP and i can remote in if needed...i really don't need anything else, so i assume i only need to have a couple of ports open for that?  I'm still a bit fuzzy on getting the WHS going within this setup with the SBS 2008, but need to get past the first step (have static for SBS be in the router or on the box)...

Monday, June 13, 2011 6:02 PM

All replies

• You should have no problem with two servers on the same network - I have a WHS1 box (with fixed IP) and a WHS 2011 (with DHCP). Make sure you only have a single DHCP server on your network (I prefer to use my router). When you say you have two static IP addresses, do you mean external internet IP addresses or are you talking about your internal network? WHS likes Ports 80 and 443 to give it all the functionality it can provide.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:20 PM
  • the SBS server wants to be in charge of the DHCP, so that wont be a problem...the IP's are external IPs from the host...so, do you have the router setup with a static IP for the WHS 1 and the WHS 2011 gets DHCP from that?  I'm trying to figure out if i need to put one of the static IPs into the router and the other on the WHS 2011 box, or if both servers should have the static IP's and the router be setup using DHCP from the provider?  I just want to make sure i can remote into both boxes without issue...also getting mail to SBS is a must...and of course all of the functionality from the WHS one...

jared

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Jared

One, or possibly both of us is confused here. Your external IP addresses provided by your Internet Service Provider have nothing to do with your internal IP addresses. I quoted one of mine being fixed and one DHCP only as an example - you can do it either way (and in my case both) - they are normally in the range 192.168.x.x. The fixed external IPs are not really that useful unless you only want to access your servers externally by IP address alone. WHS allows you to set up an external name (e.g. jared.homeserver.com) and then updates the Domain Name Servers on the internet to still go to your machines even if your external IP address changes (which it will not in your case). It is the job of your router to send external traffic to whichever internal IP address is appropriate by using port forwarding. Where you might get into a problem would be of you were hosting the same functionality on both servers (e.g. a website). In which case you could not just set up your router to send all http protocol traffic to just one of your servers.

Phil

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 10:39 PM
  • Philip, thanks for taking the time to help me work through this...i don't believe i explained it very well - i'll give it another shot...

I have 2 static IPs i paid for.  I wanted static IPs for both servers to be able to remote in and setup domains and not have the IPs change.  I'm not familar with the way WHS updates DNS, but figured that static IPs are cheap so it was worth it to just set the servers up and point my domains at them (they each will have separate domains of course)...

I did this first with the SBS box.  i got a static IP address, domain, SSL and pointed it to the server.  I setup RWW/OWA and all of that without issue.

Now i want to introduce the WHS 2011 server into the network.  When i setup the router for the SBS server I did so using the static IP i got for that server.  Then i turned off DHCP on the router because SBS 2008 wants to be in charge of DHCP on the network.  Well, in getting the WHS box setup i also purchased a new router because most wireless routers really suck (but that is a different post) and i want to get the new router setup.  I'm familar with internal IPs (192.168.x.x) - but am just not clicking brain wise on having both servers have Static IPs so i can remote into them from outside as well as have the domains pointing at them, but at the same time having internal IPs from the DHCP controler...what am i not thinking through?  I know i can go into the network settings on the LAN card on the WHS box and put in the static IP info i got, but that would mean it wouldn't have an internal IP address for the network...

Does that make more sense?  I'm just slightly off on something and i can't think it through...the problem is in my mind it is easy with 1 single Static IP that the router had, but now that i have 2 static IPs i don't know the steps to get them going and pointing and still have routing internally...

Make sense?

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Jared

That's a lot clearer - I think!

What do you mean by "When i setup the router for the SBS server I did so using the static IP i got for that server." Are you saying you used an external IP on a server within your network? If so, how did you set up your router to route internet traffic to it, or were you using a modem without a router?

Phil

Monday, June 13, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Phil...

Ok, we are getting somewhere i feel...here is what i mean by that.  In the router setup (D-Link DIR-825) i went int othe WAN and manually setup the IP address as a Static IP.  I didn't put the IP address on the server itself, but put it into the router.  That is why i'm confused as to how to use 2 IP addresses since i can only put in one into the router itself.  Is this not the way to go about having 2 servers, by having 2 Static IPs?  It seemed to make sense to me...

jared

Monday, June 13, 2011 11:24 PM
  • Jared

OK I understand - not sure you actually needed to do that as your ISP would have assigned you your fixed IP anyway but that's a different issue.

Not done it myself but read this:

Static IP Addresses
    Monday, June 13, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Phil, not sure why you gave me that link...i already have 2 static IPs, so i don't need to know how to buy them...i've already successfully setup 1 and it has been working for almost a year...i'm looking to setup both...

jared

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:35 AM
  • Jared

Because it tells you about assigning fixed IP addresses to devices on your network other than your router, which I think is what you are trying to do:

"Determine what device you will have your ISP provision a static IP address to. If you need your static IP address assigned to your modem, your ISP will most likely have the modem's MAC address on file. If you are provisioning your static IP to a networking device like a router, switch, or hub, determine that device's MAC address (typically printed on a sticker on the device itself). A static IP can also be provisioned to a computer; determining the computer's MAC address is a bit more involved (skip step 3 if you are not assigning the static to a computer)"

Personally, I would stick with a single fixed IP and have your router route network traffic as appropriate to each computer. The problem will come, as I stated above, if you need the same protocol on each computer in which case your 2 fixed IPs may be appropriate.
    Phil

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:32 AM
  • Ah, ok...thanks, that makes sense.  I actaully already understand how to assign a fixed IP address to devices, that wasn't the question.  I was wondering if that was how i should go about it (have each server have its own static IP or one server and the router or what)...

But, i think i agree with what you are saying about just having 1 and routing the ports...i just need to dive in and get my hands dirty trying to figure it out in realtime...i was hoping to get as much info from others as possible before diving in because i usually work on it at 1 in the morning or some hour and many aren't online to answer quick questions like this...

thanks again phil!

jared

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:32 PM
  • At the moment though, you have a fixed IP assigned to a router not your server. That told you how to assign an IP to a server and then by the same method assign your second IP to your second server (involving support from your ISP). I still think the fixed IP for the router and port forwarding is the best route if you can achieve what you want by that method.

Good luck

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Yeah, i know how to assign IPs to the servers and how to assign to the router...i'm familar with the how, just don't know if the theory is best - is it better to have the 2 servers both have static IPs, or just one for the router...i'm leaning the router having one static and cancelling the other static as it is now and trying it that way...hopefully i'll have good success and i'll post what i've done here...

jared

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:29 PM