OEM Product Key not working with retail disc RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PC that I am trying to perform a clean install of Windows Vista on.  The tower for the PC has the OEM product key sticker on it for "Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct - Gateway". The problem is that I don't have the OEM software discs and the only copy of Vista I have is Windows Vista Business. I did do a Google search and found some sites saying that you can use any Vista disc to install any version and its just the CD key that locks or unlocks various features. I figured this meant my Vista Business disc would work for Vista Home but during installation it will not accept the OEM product key stating "Your product key cannot be validated. Review your product key and make sure that you entered it correctly."

I have double checked it, I've triple checked it, its the correct key.. it just wont work. I would just give my friend my copy of Vista Business but the reason I was reformatting it for him was so he could sell it, so I really don't want to just throw away my working copy of Vista, even if I don't use it.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 9:50 PM

Answers

• I have a PC that I am trying to perform a clean install of Windows Vista on.  The tower for the PC has the OEM product key sticker on it for "Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct - Gateway". The problem is that I don't have the OEM software discs and the only copy of Vista I have is Windows Vista Business. I did do a Google search and found some sites saying that you can use any Vista disc to install any version and its just the CD key that locks or unlocks various features. I figured this meant my Vista Business disc would work for Vista Home but during installation it will not accept the OEM product key stating "Your product key cannot be validated. Review your product key and make sure that you entered it correctly."

I have double checked it, I've triple checked it, its the correct key.. it just wont work. I would just give my friend my copy of Vista Business but the reason I was reformatting it for him was so he could sell it, so I really don't want to just throw away my working copy of Vista, even if I don't use it.

The product key does set the installation on a retail disk but doesn't on an OEM install and a retail Vista disk won't install using an OEM key.  Gateway does put a recovery partition (normally drive D) on the hard drive and that is what should be used to rebuild the hard drive in the computer in question.  Go to http://www.gateway.com/ and click on Support, Documents and drill down to where you put in the computer's model.  Download the manual for that computer.  It will tell you how to rebuild the computer using the original rebuild partition.  Also if you don't have the rebuild partition you can normally purchase a set of rebuild disks from Gateway using the same site (look for recovery media.)
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 4:58 AM

All replies

The product key does set the installation on a retail disk but doesn't on an OEM install and a retail Vista disk won't install using an OEM key.  Gateway does put a recovery partition (normally drive D) on the hard drive and that is what should be used to rebuild the hard drive in the computer in question.  Go to http://www.gateway.com/ and click on Support, Documents and drill down to where you put in the computer's model.  Download the manual for that computer.  It will tell you how to rebuild the computer using the original rebuild partition.  Also if you don't have the rebuild partition you can normally purchase a set of rebuild disks from Gateway using the same site (look for recovery media.)
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 4:58 AM
  • "LVTravel" wrote in message news:e52d47b1-a25b-44d4-8b7b-db6ebf9dc7ff...

I have a PC that I am trying to perform a clean install of Windows Vista on.  The tower for the PC has the OEM product key sticker on it for "Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct - Gateway". The problem is that I don't have the OEM software discs and the only copy of Vista I have is Windows Vista Business. I did do a Google search and found some sites saying that you can use any Vista disc to install any version and its just the CD key that locks or unlocks various features. I figured this meant my Vista Business disc would work for Vista Home but during installation it will not accept the OEM product key stating "Your product key cannot be validated. Review your product key and make sure that you entered it correctly."

Note that you can also use an MS OEM System Builder disk for the install - if you can find someone with one, borrow it :)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 5:22 AM
  • HI to mike it work you have to got windows vista home premium then it will work ok
    Monday, April 8, 2013 5:26 PM