Reinstall WHS 2011 Can't see existing HD RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All, Newbie here...

I built a server few months back and decided to try the WHS 2011.   I had it running for a while with the OS being on my partition 2TB drive.  The primary partition was for the OS only and the other for my data storage.  I started to run out of space for my data so I bought and install 3TB.  I thought I can just use one partition for the new drive but after research it say that WHS only can back up 2TB.  I have not use this server to backup but more for storage as a Media server.  Anyways, I moved my data onto my 3TB drive and continue to add more movies.  Then I end up getting a SSD to test for use of the OS drive only.  So I try to clone my OS from the 2TB drive over and the software kept the same partition sizes.  I only wanted my SSD to be one partition so that was no good for me.  So I decided to do new install of WHS on my SSD and everything when well but then the nightmare came. My 3TB drive didnt show up as a drive letter but my 2TB did.  I know when I did new install it only ask to format the SSD.  So not sure what happen. Can anyone please help me out to get this back.

I also did research and notice that there are two type allocation to either the Default Storage Pool or Server Backup pool.  But when I first set this up I notice there was server backup folder and I just copy my movies to that folder.  I didn't know anything about storage pool.  If I get my data back can I change the drive to storage instead of backup?

TIA... 

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:24 PM

Answers

• Not sure I exactly understand, but any drive allocated to server backup will not have a drive letter, there will be no shared folders on it and you can't copy data there - it is allocated totally to Server Backups. You are correct that WHS will only back up 2TB and only partitions which are <2TB (even if there is less data on them). Your 3TB drive should have been partitioned by WHS into two partitions.

A new install should only touch the disk you are installing to.

Can you see your "missing" 3TB drive in Disk Management and/or in the Dashboard, allocated to either data storage or Server backups?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:06 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:47 PM
  • Storage drives are formatted as NTFS so should be readable on any system. I am not sure how you wrote data to a disk without a drive letter that had been allocated to Server backup - are you sure that's what you did?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:24 PM

All replies

• Not sure I exactly understand, but any drive allocated to server backup will not have a drive letter, there will be no shared folders on it and you can't copy data there - it is allocated totally to Server Backups. You are correct that WHS will only back up 2TB and only partitions which are <2TB (even if there is less data on them). Your 3TB drive should have been partitioned by WHS into two partitions.

A new install should only touch the disk you are installing to.

Can you see your "missing" 3TB drive in Disk Management and/or in the Dashboard, allocated to either data storage or Server backups?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:47 PM
  • Sorry for not being to clear.  My first mistake is that I didn't know about the two type of drive setup.  I only realized it after I had this problem and did research. Oh I meant that the empty 2TB that can be seen only has "Serverfolders" directory on it. 

My 3 TB was partition into 2.  Even though it was setup as backup I never used it that way through the dashboard. I manually saved my movies onto it.  In the dashboard it only see my SSD and my 2TB drive and those has drive letter.  But this 3TB is not seen at all or have any drive letter.  In my bios it does see all 3 drives and under device manager it see all 3 too.

I am trying to use EaseUS data recovery now and it see my 3tb drive with the 2 partition.  I'm hoping it can recover my movies.  But I was wondering how I can get WHS to see this drive without having to go through dashboard which ask to format drive first. I even try to put my 3TB into my other PC running XP and again no drive letter but see the device.

Any idea what else I can do to recover my movies and move it to the 2TB drive?  After that I will go to dashboard and format my 3TB and make it storage drive instead of backup for now.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:53 PM
  • Storage drives are formatted as NTFS so should be readable on any system. I am not sure how you wrote data to a disk without a drive letter that had been allocated to Server backup - are you sure that's what you did?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:24 PM
  • Hello Phil,  It is formatted at NTFS so its not server backup.  The two original drives 2TB and 3TB had drive letters.  Its when I newly install WHS on my SDD that I lost the drive letter for the 3TB.  I am recovering the one partition on my 3TB to my 2TB drive now.  So hopefully I am able to do the same for the bigger partition.  After this is recover, I will then format my 3TB again.  It must have got corrupted somehow because I can't read that drive in my XP PC.  Not sure what part of the drive is corrupted.

Thanks for trying to help.  I guess I need to learn more about how WHS work before I do anything else :(

Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:10 AM