Delete issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are in the process of building up our content base from one system to the Microsoft CRM system.  We have been getting some dupliace entries which I was expecting which have gone throught he duplicate detection rules (due to missspelling of names and e-mail addresses).  however when I try and delete the incorrect contact the delete freezes and requires me to close the CRM windown down.

This does not delete the contact.  I can deactivate a contact but obviously we would like to remove these from the CRM system as it can cause problems.

The CRM system is running on 1 web box & 1 SQL box both runniing Windows server 2003 (SP2)
    and the end user is using IE7

Has anyone seen this before.  we have updated to Rollup 2 and the problem is still there.

The delete issue is also the case when trying to delete a marketing list.  but we don't get any poblems with other areas of the CRM.  It looks like the delete issue is happening when contacts are involved.
    Network Support Technician
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:35 PM

Answers

• Enable CRM tracing and watch for related errors.

You can delete a contact from several places. i would try all to pinpoint the problem:

1. delete from grid.
    2. delete from within the entity form. (crmappilcation)
    3. delete from code (webservice)
    4. delete from workflow. (asyncservice)

i expect the last 2 to through some kind of error which might shed light on the problem origin.

there is also rollup3 available that might solve this issue.
    if you have a user that uses IE6 i would definitely ask him to delete a contact and tell you if he is experiencing any problems.

hope this helps
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:17 AM

All replies

• Do you have delete rights on the record type you are trying to delete?  Also, I have seen some IE issues related to using Tabs.  If you are using tabbed browsing, change that option, restart IE and see if the problem persists.  While you are at it, ensure you do not have any pop-up blockers on for IE or any addins you might have running like Google.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:22 PM
  • If you can identify these records using advanced find i suggest building a bulk delete operation (job) that does that for you. this works asynchronously behind scenes and wont cause your window to hang.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:51 PM
  •  I will try not using the tabbed option but we have had this working before.  I don't have any popup blockers or additional add-ins as I know they can seriously mess up particular applications.

Will let you know what happens.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:39 AM
  • OK I tried with the no tab option and still no joy.  I get as far as the Contact Delete Confirmation box which then freezes.

When I look at the task managaer that fuction is not responding.

I don't really want to do the bulk delete job as Although I am the administrator this is also causing problems for the users some of which may need to delete a contact.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:49 AM
  • Enable CRM tracing and watch for related errors.

You can delete a contact from several places. i would try all to pinpoint the problem:

1. delete from grid.
    2. delete from within the entity form. (crmappilcation)
    3. delete from code (webservice)
    4. delete from workflow. (asyncservice)

i expect the last 2 to through some kind of error which might shed light on the problem origin.

there is also rollup3 available that might solve this issue.
    if you have a user that uses IE6 i would definitely ask him to delete a contact and tell you if he is experiencing any problems.

hope this helps
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:17 AM
  •  Good suggestions Adi!

You say you are in the process of moving data from a legacy system to your CRM database.  Just out of curiosity, how were the Contacts added to your CRM database? 

Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:50 PM