none
WHS Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, I have a question and hopefully someone has a clear answer...

Im part of MS Technet and i have been playing with Home Server at home. Currentyl i have a 250GB  HDD that was installed with WHS V1 and i added media to the drive (Music, files, etc). Since then i have added two more 1 TB drives into the storage pool and turned on folder duplication for all directories.  When VAIL is released if i want to use the current hardware i have WHS running on for VAIL instead how do i go about ensuring that when i format the original 250GB HDD that i installed WHS V1 none of the media that i put on the server is wiped out with it? Because all it shows is shares for your media and doesnt tell you on which disks the data is located on.

Cheers!

Ron

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:30 PM

All replies

• ...and turned on folder duplication for all directories.  When VAIL is released...
    You may want to read the Vail forum for the latest.  It will not have duplication.  You'll need some type of RAID to have duplication.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:50 PM
  • Mentioning duplication was a statement not a question... Im concerned my data is stored on the 250gb HDD and not on either of the 1 TB HDD's which would create a problem when i format the 250GB HDD to install VAIL.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 10:33 PM
  • With the recent announcement on Vail's future path, no one can say with certainty what to expect in terms of upgrades.  The beta's up till now are nothing but experimental and until the next one is released the answers to the upgrade questions are a guess.  A non Microsoft option maybe the best plan for an upgrade since MS has more or less abandon the consumer based server software business.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 11:39 PM
  • I read the other day that M$ are now looking into including the duplication element into Vail
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Yeah im hoping they do... on one hand its good their not doing storage pooling because then you can tell exactly what drive your files are sitting on if you need to pull a drive and repurpose it without losing anything. on the other hand it looses some very nice simplicity for dealing with the storage...
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:44 AM
  • You will be moving from a 32 bit environment to a 64 bit environment. Microsoft doesn't support any kind of "upgrade in place" for this transition, so you should expect to flatten your box.

The easiest (not cheapest, not fastest) method if you've already got a server running V1 is to set up a second server in parallel and copy from one to the other. Next in line would be buying new hard drives, turning duplication on for everything, and manually recovering data from the V1 disks per the FAQ on data recovery in the FAQ section of the forums. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 3:15 PM
  • You will be moving from a 32 bit environment to a 64 bit environment. Microsoft doesn't support any kind of "upgrade in place" for this transition, so you should expect to flatten your box.

I really think MS should reconsider this, especially as many WHS units are headless. I don't expect everything - addins being the obvious - but machine info and backups and shares and data should be migrated seamlessly and automatically.

qts
    Monday, November 29, 2010 10:53 PM