Original Back up RRS feed

• Question

• I lost my back up on my external drive. How do I do an original (all) back up. I use to have a choice new or from last now it's just from last.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:14 PM

Answers

• Try resetting the backup plan:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:16 AM

All replies

• Try resetting the backup plan:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:16 AM
  • I have two external hard drives. I would like to go betweent the two - changing them out every month. So one month, I'll back up to hard drive one and the following month to hard drive two. Will this procedure work to accomplish that goal? I want to always have a fairly recent complete back up.

Friday, June 13, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Yes, AnneTN. This will allow you to create a new full backup each time you do this. You will quickly run out of room on both drives, though, as each time you do this you are creating a new backup and not adding only new and changed files to the older backup. Once you change the backup destination, OneCare can no longer add to the prior backup, even after switching back. I would recommend that you use OneCare to backup to a single external drive on a schedule of your choosing and then use another backup solution, perhaps as simple as manually copying your \My Documents folder, to copy data to the other external drive as desired. You can also look into using SyncToy - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0fc1154-c975-4814-9649-cce41af06eb7&DisplayLang=en

(or the 2.0 beta - http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/synctoybeta.aspx) to synchronize files and folders of your choosing to the other drive.

-steve

Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:15 AM