Running itunes as a service on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have a Apple TV that requier Itunes and a Squeezebox that requier squeezecenter to run.

So, now I have run Itunes on my WHS and Squeezecenter on the whs. that have worked very well.

but, that requiers me to log into whs and always be inlogged.

So after reading the forum I understand that the best is to not log in and run applications as services.

So then how can I run Itunes as a service? is it possible? and how to edit library?

and no, I am not interessted in firefly.

I found out about squeezecenter.

any ideas?

Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:00 PM

All replies

• Mr. Hammond said:

Hello.

I have a Apple TV that requier Itunes and a Squeezebox that requier squeezecenter to run.

So, now I have run Itunes on my WHS and Squeezecenter on the whs. that have worked very well.

but, that requiers me to log into whs and always be inlogged.

So after reading the forum I understand that the best is to not log in and run applications as services.

Correct.

Mr. Hammond said:

So then how can I run Itunes as a service? is it possible? and how to edit library?

You should be able to run any app as a service by installing the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit on your server.  (NOTE:  FYI, installing any app, including the Resource Kit, from the server desktop is unsupported, but it does work.)  One of the apps that you will have access to is srvany.exe.  That is the app used to run any other app as a service.

Mr. Hammond said:

and no, I am not interessted in firefly.

I found out about squeezecenter.

any ideas?

Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:25 PM
  • It will probably not be possible to run iTunes as a service (though you can try). Unfortunately, if you do manage to run it as a service, you won't be able to use it to manage your library; that requires interactive use from the desktop.

If you are committed to your Apple TV device, then your best bet from a compatibility and usability standpoint is to run iTunes on one of your desktop PCs. If you're not committed, then you might want to do a bunch more research; the home media marketplace isn't anywhere near mature, and it's very easy to paint yourself into a corner by choosing devices because they offer some cool feature, without thinking about how they integrate into your existing media experience.

Why are you uninterested in Firefly, by the way? Admittedly it only streams audio, but it works very well in that role, in my experience.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:47 PM
  • I agree with Ken, but there is an alternative if you wish to try it : Subsonic , not able to use m4p, but may meet your needs. An article on it and WHS - http://http//forum.wegotserved.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4627   

You can also look at Monkeymedia,

Ben

Ben Ogilvie
    • Edited by benogil Monday, November 17, 2008 12:20 AM misspell
    Monday, November 17, 2008 12:20 AM
  • I guess that firefly is a nice software but it doesnt work with my apple tv well, thats the only reason.

I agreed that itunes is "bloatware" and heavy to run compared to a lot of other things, so I am a bit amazed that no one have made a alternative for those of us wishing to run apple tv.

for now I run my whs inlogged and running itunes, and squeezecenter.

I use ultra vnc to connect and edit and add songs in library.

and, it works wery well!

when it comes to sequrity, my whs server stands in my basement locked from anyone. so the only sequrity treath the whs has is any one breaking the door and actually stealing the whs server.

the only question is:

when whs always inlogged, does whs then create a memory leak? I mean will whs use more and more memorey until it just freezes?

windows is not the best on memory optimizing as I have heard...
    Monday, November 17, 2008 8:32 AM
  • To make a realistic alternative to iTunes for Apple TV, one would probably have to license information about Apple TV from Apple. And I don't (honestly) see that happening.

As for a memory leak, some versions of iTunes have leaked memory. I don't know about the current version. And other applications may leak memory. Windows Home Server itself doesn't.

Monday, November 17, 2008 12:55 PM
  • okay. I undetstand.

WHS running itunes and squeezecenter works nicely.

I can log in at any time using ultra vnc and do what I want.

so you can say I use whs as a media server with backup posibilities.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 5:03 PM
  • As long as you understand that running iTunes on your server on the desktop, however you get to that desktop, is an unsupported scenario, and that you're taking a (possibly large) risk by leaving a user logged in all the time, if it works for you, it works for me. :)
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:31 AM
  • I guess the best case scenario is that Apple releases a iTunes version that supports being run on a server, adding functionality that includes running it as service, and a web based user interface.. But then again, once we believe in santa also.. hehe.. :)

Lars
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:43 AM
  • I realise this is an old post but just for completness - new versions of iTunes appeaer to install without a hitch on servers ... I've tried on Windows Server 2008 and I've seen others who have it working ok on Windows Home Server.  Didn't have to do any MSI hacking or anything special.  My server (an HP Microserver N36L) doesn't have a sound card so I had to install a virtual sound card in it and then I use AirPlay to play form the server to my AirTunes compatible devices.....

In terms of running iTunes without logging in, I use iHomeServer to run iTunes as a service so that iTunes starts when Windows starts up.  You can configure it as a cut-down user account (there's a blog post about how to set iTunes to run as a service as a non-admin user here - very interesting stuff.  Works well for me.  It keeps my music and video libraries up to date and I can add media to my media library remotely (Eg from my laptop) and it will automatically add this into iTunes.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:00 PM
  • You can use EasyTunesAsService (http://www.welldonecode.com/easytunesasservice/index.html) software to run iTunes as Windows service. It simply asks you user credentials and take care about all iTunes specific problems that prevents running it as service when you try to do it common way. Home sharing, AirPlay etc. works well.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:50 AM