Missing/Corrupt mp3 files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    for the last week I have been getting a file conflict error on several mp3 files, today I decided to take a backup of all my music just in case they started corrupting.

Every few minutes I lose connection to the music share, all other shares are fine:

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4396/musicerrorky6.th.jpg

After a few minutes its back.

I checked the event log and noticed pages of chkdsk errors:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1435/eventlogol6.jpg

Could this be the reason for the corrupt files?
    The hard drives are new, and have always been reported as healthy.

Corruption seems to be limited to one whole album and half of another.

I have 2 drives under C:\fs
    H and M
    Under C:\fs\H\DE\shares\Music the albums folder is empty (save for the album art) similar issue with the half corrupt album, only half is there.
    C:\fs\M\DE\shares\Music\Various Artists has a few unrelated albums.

Am I right in thinking the files were damaged, chkdsk deleted them but the tombstones are still there?
    Can I update the tombstones/shares?

• Edited by madlan Saturday, October 25, 2008 11:25 AM
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 11:01 AM

All replies

• I've read here somewhere that it will take 4 instance or 4 days until WHS actually reports a hard drive as bad, so if that time hasn't passed WHS will still show the drives as healthy.  

Can you post your system specs? Is your WHS fully updated?

athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:23 PM
  • Enchanter said:

I've read here somewhere that it will take 4 instance or 4 days until WHS actually reports a hard drive as bad, so if that time hasn't passed WHS will still show the drives as healthy.  

Can you post your system specs? Is your WHS fully updated?

athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.

Chkdsk runs on WHS automatically once a day (at midnight).  And yes, WHS will not report a drive as failing unless it fails chkdsk 4 consecutive times.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:56 PM
  • madlan said:

Hi,
    for the last week I have been getting a file conflict error on several mp3 files, today I decided to take a backup of all my music just in case they started corrupting.

Every few minutes I lose connection to the music share, all other shares are fine:

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4396/musicerrorky6.th.jpg

After a few minutes its back.

I checked the event log and noticed pages of chkdsk errors:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1435/eventlogol6.jpg

Could this be the reason for the corrupt files?
    The hard drives are new, and have always been reported as healthy.

Corruption seems to be limited to one whole album and half of another.

I have 2 drives under C:\fs
    H and M
    Under C:\fs\H\DE\shares\Music the albums folder is empty (save for the album art) similar issue with the half corrupt album, only half is there.
    C:\fs\M\DE\shares\Music\Various Artists has a few unrelated albums.

Am I right in thinking the files were damaged, chkdsk deleted them but the tombstones are still there?
    Can I update the tombstones/shares?

I would definitely run chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.  No doubt at least one drive is failing.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:58 PM
  • How do I run chkdsk on the physical drives? I have done C and D.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:13 PM
  • madlan said:

How do I run chkdsk on the physical drives? I have done C and D.

When you logon to the server desktop, you will have to browse to C:\fs and see which letters/numbers are there.  (Those are the volume mount points created by WHS.)  Then type the command:

chkdsk c:\fs\x /r  (replacing x with whatever letter/number is shown in C:\fs from above)

For example, if you have a volume mount point inside C:\fs called G (as I do), the command would be:

chkdsk c:\fs\g /r

Once you type the command, you will be asked Would you like to force a dismount of this volume?  Type n and press Enter.  Then you will be asked Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  Type y and press Enter.  Then reboot the server.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:30 PM
  • ok, did the chkdsk on the c:\fs\ drives (on reboot) took a few hours for the server to come back up but still the same situation, the tombstones are still in the share - the files are not on the drives (c:\fs\x)
    Surely WHS removes tomstones that have no file to point to?

Al.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 10:50 AM
  • madlan said:

ok, did the chkdsk on the c:\fs\ drives (on reboot) took a few hours for the server to come back up but still the same situation, the tombstones are still in the share - the files are not on the drives (c:\fs\x)
    Surely WHS removes tomstones that have no file to point to?

Al.

Unfortunately not.  If you have invalid tombstones, you should try a tool created by another WHS user named catsaver.  His tool is called Windows Home Server Cleanup Tool.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:14 PM
  • I keep getting the following in the event log - 100s of events, examples:

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Ntfs
    Event Category:    Disk
    Event ID:    55
    Date:        27/10/2008
    Time:        08:12:38
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    SERVER
    Description:
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\fs\H.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 04 00 02 00 52 00   ......R.
    0008: 02 00 00 00 37 00 04 c0   ....7..À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 02 01 00 c0   .......À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0028: c2 00 22 00               Â.".    

----------------------------------------------------------------

Event Type:    Information
    Event Source:    Application Popup
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    26
    Date:        27/10/2008
    Time:        08:12:38
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    SERVER
    Description:
    Application popup: Windows - Corrupt File : The file or directory C:\fs\H\DE\shares\Music\Various Artists\Gatecrasher Black is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to find out which physical hard drive is failing so I can remove it?

Thanks.

Monday, October 27, 2008 7:00 PM
  • CHKDSK output on C:\fs\H

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>chkdsk c:\fs\h /r
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process.  Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
    ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
    Volume dismounted.  All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
    Volume label is DATA.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
    53680 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    8 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.
    0 EA records processed.
    0 reparse records processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
    19 percent complete. (147997 of 196762 index entries processed)
    Deleting index entry Future Trance, Volume 35 in index $I30 of file 20307.
    Deleting index entry FUTURE~1 in index $I30 of file 20307.
    Deleting index entry Gatecrasher Black in index $I30 of file 20307.
    Deleting index entry GATECR~1 in index $I30 of file 20307.
    196762 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
    30 unindexed files processed.
    30 unindexed files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
    53680 security descriptors processed.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    4340 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    53664 files processed.
    File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    4561197 free clusters processed.
    Free space verification is complete.
    Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

976751968 KB total disk space.
     958339228 KB in 43648 files.
         18468 KB in 4348 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        149484 KB in use by the system.
         65536 KB occupied by the log file.
      18244788 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
     244187992 total allocation units on disk.
       4561197 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>
    Monday, October 27, 2008 7:01 PM
  • I have two Samsung 1TB spinpoints, brand new - could this be a corruption bug? (running SP1)
    Monday, October 27, 2008 7:02 PM
  • madlan said:

I have two Samsung 1TB spinpoints, brand new - could this be a corruption bug? (running SP1)

Hello, Errors and corrections made by chkdsk are hardware. Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, October 27, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Thanks, could you tell me how I can work out which pysical drive is failing?
    Why is the WHS front end not informing me that a hard drive is failing?

• Edited by madlan Monday, October 27, 2008 7:23 PM
    Monday, October 27, 2008 7:16 PM
  • madlan said:

Thanks, could you tell me how I can work out which pysical drive is failing?

Unfortunately, if you can't tell which one is which from the console (which is common when you have 2 drives of the same size made by the same manufacturer), the easiest way to tell would be to shut down your server and unplug one of the possible drives, then turn the server back on.  You will obviously get errors due to the hard drive being unavailable.  Just ignore it, logon to the server desktop and go to C:\fs again.  Once there, the drive that you removed will no longer have the volume mount point icon (symbol of a hard drive).  It will have a standard folder icon instead.  Now you will know which volume mount point is assigned to that drive.  Once you've done that, shut the server back down, reconnect that drive, then power it up again.

Also, if you have drives that can't be easily distinguished in the Console (as you do), I would figure out which drive is which by doing the steps above (only do one drive at a time though) and then either A) write it down and keep it for future reference or B) use the Disk Management add-in tool.  You can download it from here.  (IMO, this is one of the essential add-ins to have, and the only add-in that I use that was not created by a corporation.)

EDIT:  Also, before doing this, make absolutely positively certain that you have installed all critical updates on your server.  If you are unsure if you have all updates or not, you can tell by looking at the component numbers.  Every component should be 6.0.1800.0 except Drive Extender, which should be 6.0.1800.8.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 7:32 PM
  • madlan said:

Thanks, could you tell me how I can work out which pysical drive is failing?
    Why is the WHS front end not informing me that a hard drive is failing?

The current way health monitoring works is that it waits until it has had 5 days of chkdsk logs indicating a bad drive before it alerts you to a bad disk. This is to prevent it from throwing false errors.

Thanks to recent feedback, we are reconsidering this for the next version of the product. We have been asked to shorten the wait time.

As to figuring out which HDD is failing

1. Remote Desktop into your server
    2. Start>My Computer> browse to C: and then browse to the drive that indicated errors. In this case, that would be "c:\fs\h"
    3. Right click on the drive and select properties
    4. On the general tab, under mounted volume click on the properties button

If all your drives are the same size, this becomes a little more difficult because you cannot determine by size.  If they are different sizes, you can tell by the size of drive what "h" is.  i.e a 500GB drive vs a 80GB drive.

If they are the same size and model number, you will have to try and determine by placement:  LUN 0, Target ID under the hardware tab.

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, October 27, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Thanks, I removed one of the two identical drives, then booted up.
    in C:\fs\ the H was a normal windows folder icon instead of the usual HD icon.
    I guess this is the failing drive?
    I have gone through the event log, all errors note H only, so I think it is just this drive.

Now, I have added 2 500GB drives to take the files on this drive, do I just remove it via the console?

What would happen if this failed? I have all folders duplicated, would they have been stored safely on the second HD?

Many thanks for your support!
    Monday, October 27, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

If you are sure this is the correct drive, then yes, just use the Console to remove the drive. It could be worthwhile using the Disk Management Add-In to check, as this can identify each drives serial number etc to make ID easier.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 8:09 PM
  • The two drives have the following serial numbers in the addin:

Serial Number    1SP31JQB060080    
    Serial Number    1SP31JQB060070   

This is printed on the "failed" HD:

S13PJ1BQ600007

Does not match up?
    Monday, October 27, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

It would appear to be the second one. If you disconnect the drive, when you RDP into the server and check with explorer; then under C:/fs, you won't be able to open any folders under the H: drive.

If you have Duplication enabled for all your Shared Folders, then when you remove any data drive through the Console the 2nd copy of any particular file should be fine and on another drive.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 8:38 PM
  • Replaced HD, all seems fine!
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:07 PM