Validation (key in use; have tried about everything) RRS feed

• Question

• Because i have reinstalled windows vista, when i try to validate windows, it tells me that my key is in use. I

have tried to change product key but i get the same error. I have tried to phone my installation numbers but it says it cannot validate either. What else can i try?

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0069.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Cached Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-XK376-TJ7T4-76PKF
    Windows Product Key Hash: 5QFdDDGgO8Pgmj93aZhOuZ69dH0=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-022-5000027-71429
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.003
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {66F2A5AC-59A9-4D99-9759-DC0D9B3EA69B}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_gdr.071009-1548
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:10 PM

Answers

• Hello Alex,

When a user installes a copy of Vista, they have a choice to enter a product key, during install, or not. 

~If the user does enter a valid Product Key, Vista can tell from the key that was entered, what version of Vista to install (example: If the key is a Home Basic key, then Vista knows to install Home Basic).

~If the user does not enter a Product Key during install (called a Keyless Install), then Vista must ask the user what version of Vista to install. Since no key was used during the install, Vista uses it's own default product key (also known as the Keyless Install Key). While the Keyless Install key is in use, Vista is in Trial Mode and allows full Vista Functionality for 30 days and then goes into Reduced Functionality mode.

If the user wishes to use Vista longer then 30 days, they mush Change the Product key to a Valid Vista Product Key for the installed version of Vista (example: if Vista Ultimate was installed during the Keyless Install, the user must use a Vista Ultimate Product Key to convert it from a trial to a full version. but if the user's Product Key is for any lower versions of Vista (such as Vista Home Basic), Vista Ultimate would not accept it)

According to your Diagnostic Report, your copy of Vista was a Keyless Install and the Product Key listed is the default Keyless Install Key for Vista Home Premium.

If your Valid Vista Product Key, that came with in the retail box, is for Vista Home Premium, then click the start button, right-click "Computer" and select "Properties". In the window, that comes up, click "Change Product Key" and enter the product key listed in the Vista retail box. (when asked to Activate, please activate by phone and talk to a Live Activation Rep, to activate)

If your Valid Vista Product Key, that came with in the retail box, is for any versions lower then Vista Home Premium (such as Home Basic or Starter) then you will need to reinstall the proper version of Vista for the product key that you have.

If you believe that you Valid Vista Product Key matches the version of the Vista install on your computer, but Vista rejects the key, please go to http://support.microsoft.com for additional Vista support.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:01 AM