Is anyone using security software on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I have PCTools antivirus (free edition), AVG antispyware (30 day trial) and Windows Defender protecting my WHS Server.  Any thoughts?

Acer Veriton 7500G 2.4 Ghz, 512 Ram, 250 GB ATA HD, connecting Vista Business, XP Pro and XP Home systems, runs fine...

Sunday, March 18, 2007 5:54 PM

Answers

• I am using Symantec anti-virus corporate edition (supplied by my work) with no problems. I am suprised you are running AVG? Most threads report this software to require the server edition. There is some talk of AVAST working without problems, and as that is free it seems worth investigating.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 9:42 PM
  • I'm running NOD32 with no problems.  Thought about adding BOClean to this mix.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 12:05 AM
  • AVG Antivirus requires the server version, but not AVG Antispyware...
    Monday, March 19, 2007 2:38 AM

All replies

• I am using Symantec anti-virus corporate edition (supplied by my work) with no problems. I am suprised you are running AVG? Most threads report this software to require the server edition. There is some talk of AVAST working without problems, and as that is free it seems worth investigating.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 9:42 PM
  • I'm running NOD32 with no problems.  Thought about adding BOClean to this mix.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 12:05 AM
  • AVG Antivirus requires the server version, but not AVG Antispyware...
    Monday, March 19, 2007 2:38 AM
  • I guess this is another clue of the "Advanced Functionality" provided by WHS. You could possibly install Symantec System Console to remotely manage your other computers on your network virus scan, remotely install the client, remote scans, etc.

I am not sure who would actually do this at their home. But its just a thought.

Monday, March 19, 2007 3:02 AM
  • I'm running Sophos Anti-virus without any issues
    Monday, March 19, 2007 3:27 AM
  • AVG Antivirus Pro

ZoneAlarm 7

Friday, March 23, 2007 2:53 AM
  • McAfee 8.0i is running on mine, I luckily have my own license for it, eBay is a wonderful thing.
    Anyone try to install Windows Defender on WHS?
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 3:18 PM
  • I´m using avira anti-virus, windows defender and the windows home server firewall
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 10:30 PM
  • Great to hear you are using Symantec AV Corporate.  Are you just running the client, or are you using WHS box as a central NAV server for the rest of your network?  I'm thinking to run NAV 10.2 Corporate Edition on WHS to support NAV on 4 client PC's in house (easier then checking the individual machines are up to date).  Thanks.
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:21 PM
  • Two thoughts come to mind:

1. WHS is Windows Server 2003 based, add-ons should be certified for the OS, right? Otherwise any bugs identified risk being tainted by 'outside' factors. Very similar to using non-certified or wrong-OS hardware drivers.

2. Drive Extender brings new technology to the mix, this could cause conflicts with how an AV product deals with self-healing or auto-deletion of what it might flag as dangerous.

Given WHS was designed as a basis for an appliance and non-OEM usage (us!) are a secondary market, what're the thoughts of the design crew on the AV and security vendors creating certification and support for it? Has there been much interaction with them so far?

Thursday, April 5, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Valid point on the possible "tainting" of WHS beta by installing 3rd party software not specifically designed for it.

Guess maybe i'll wait for some Microsoft direction on a 3rd party software listing of some sort - maybe by RC time?

To me it makes sense, WHS provides 1 central location for files - you need to do NAV somewhere and a home NAV server just makes sense.  Maybe a new bussiness-op for Symantec and others to re-package their full fledge server products into a Home Server package?

Friday, April 6, 2007 11:50 AM
  • Since I'm already springing for individual AV and firewall licensing for 6 pc's in my home network, I'd be a target market for a competitively priced per-seat or <10 seat site license security package that would run as a service on the server box and work similarly to the backup feature. Not sure how that fits into the OEM-appliance model view, that seems to be based on access INTO it, not out since its headless with no install access by default.

Not to hijack the thread, but while its still in beta, more info on Drive Extender and the diffs between Windows Server 2003 and this stripped version would be useful in developing hardening strategies for the 'homebuilt' crowd. We're bound to be creating exposure through our 'vanilla' installs that won't exist in the box-on-the-shelf units.

Friday, April 6, 2007 1:02 PM
  • I'm Using Sophos SBE, and distributing out ot the client PC's using the Sophos Control Centre without any problems at all.
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 10:54 PM