Cannot log into the windows home server console RRS feed

• Question

• I am not a networking guru at all and do not understand the problems I am experiencing but these are the symptoms.

My home server was automatically updated to pp3. I can open my network shares on the home server without problems, I can backup my PCs to the home server. Successful logon on my XP SP3 workstation works intermittenly. I have also logged into the server using remote desktop. The connection success is hit or miss. I have a Vista 64 bit machine that I cannot connect to either the server or by remote desktop.

My question is
    1. Would these connection issues be explained by not having adequate server resources. After pp3 was installed it seemed like performance of the server was poor. When I was logged on it. I saw that it was pegging on the cpu and memory (2 GB RAM). Before pp3 was installed I had no complaints with performance.

2. I have not changed any network settings and have successfully used home server for years. My problems are the result of this pp3 upgrade.

3. I cannot uninstall/reinstall widows vista connector software. I get errors that it cannot find someting.

4. My home server is a media smart server the ex470 model. I don't understand why I can periodically connect to the home server from my XP SP3 workstation. Sometimes it connects. I remember having been prompted to install updates. My connector version is 6.0.2423.0 -  is this the current version if I had pp3 installed. If not would this explain my issues.

thanks

Monday, January 11, 2010 11:44 PM

Answers

• I am not a networking guru at all and do not understand the problems I am experiencing but these are the symptoms.

My home server was automatically updated to pp3. I can open my network shares on the home server without problems, I can backup my PCs to the home server. Successful logon on my XP SP3 workstation works intermittenly. I have also logged into the server using remote desktop. The connection success is hit or miss. I have a Vista 64 bit machine that I cannot connect to either the server or by remote desktop.

My question is
    1. Would these connection issues be explained by not having adequate server resources. After pp3 was installed it seemed like performance of the server was poor. When I was logged on it. I saw that it was pegging on the cpu and memory (2 GB RAM). Before pp3 was installed I had no complaints with performance.

It's probably re-indexing.  Windows Search 4.0 is part of the PP3 install which is probably bogging it down (and the 47x series servers are exactly all that powerful in the first place).  Best thing to do is to let it finish.  After that it should work fine.

2. I have not changed any network settings and have successfully used home server for years. My problems are the result of this pp3 upgrade.

3. I cannot uninstall/reinstall widows vista connector software. I get errors that it cannot find someting.

What is the exact error message?

4. My home server is a media smart server the ex470 model. I don't understand why I can periodically connect to the home server from my XP SP3 workstation. Sometimes it connects.

Could be a problem with the NIC and/or driver in that client, bad cabling, bad port on your router, etc.

I remember having been prompted to install updates. My connector version is 6.0.2423.0 -  is this the current version if I had pp3 installed.

Yes.

If not would this explain my issues.

thanks

• Marked as answer by mesipro Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:35 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:15 AM