Reinstalling WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I know this question has been answered before, but I cannot find it anymore. Is there any way to reinstall WHS without killing all the data stored on the server as well as the user stores? If anyone can answer this or point me in the right direction it would be most helpful.
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 11:00 PM

Answers

• 1.  Boot from the DVD

2.  Perform a "Server Reinstallation" rather than a new install.

3.  All Data SHOULD remain intact.

4.  Re-establish users and permissions per folder since they were wiped out in the reinstallation.

Enjoy!

Saturday, September 22, 2007 11:04 PM

All replies

• 1.  Boot from the DVD

2.  Perform a "Server Reinstallation" rather than a new install.

3.  All Data SHOULD remain intact.

4.  Re-establish users and permissions per folder since they were wiped out in the reinstallation.

Enjoy!

Saturday, September 22, 2007 11:04 PM
  • Will that take care of a problem lets say if I forgot the admin password?
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 11:27 PM
  •  Anonymous4569 wrote:
    Will that take care of a problem lets say if I forgot the admin password?

Yes, that will work to reset the password.  However, at the conclusion of the reinstall, it could take a VERY long time to locate all of the data already stored on the server and rebuild the databases (it could take several DAYS before the reinstall is complete).

Saturday, September 22, 2007 11:46 PM
  • That should not be a problem at most I have maybe 20GBs of data on the server. But thanks for the heads up!
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:25 AM
  • Best time to do it would be just before you go to bed, then hopefully by the time you get up in the morning it will all be done :-)

Andrew

Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:31 AM
  • Hi

I've got a full walkthrough of how to reinstall your server here:

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2007/09/13/how-to-upgrade-windows-home-server-rc-to-windows-home-server-rtm/

This is for an upgrade to RTM, but the steps are the same...

Cheers

Terry

Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:16 PM
  • Ok, I am ready for the wait, but I want to make sure that I am waiting at the right point and not that the install is hung.

Right now it is sitting there on the install screen, the list on the left, it is on the "Finalizing Installation" and just above the blank white progress bar says "Installing Windows Home Server". Oh yeah, the HDD activity light is flickering rapidly and the PC is not hung.

Thanks,

Ted

BTW, here is a what the screen looks like, just without any green in the progress bar anfter about 4 hours. I think that I have about 600GB on the server.

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/img_0330sm.jpg

Monday, July 7, 2008 9:25 PM
  •  Ted V wrote:

Ok, I am ready for the wait, but I want to make sure that I am waiting at the right point and not that the install is hung.

Right now it is sitting there on the install screen, the list on the left, it is on the "Finalizing Installation" and just above the blank white progress bar says "Installing Windows Home Server". Oh yeah, the HDD activity light is flickering rapidly and the PC is not hung.

Thanks,

Ted

BTW, here is a what the screen looks like, just without any green in the progress bar anfter about 4 hours. I think that I have about 600GB on the server.

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/img_0330sm.jpg

If you are referring to a Server Reinstallation, yes, that is the correct point for it to recreate the tombstones (which may look like it's stuck).  Just be patient... Wink

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:48 AM
  • That what i also tried to...however I only get the option of a new install....not server reinstallation

any clue why?
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 12:50 PM
  •  Pierce007 wrote:
    That what i also tried to...however I only get the option of a new install....not server reinstallation

any clue why?

I responded to your other post.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 2:03 PM
  • I am stuck on exactly that screen and the bar is still white (no green yet). I have been stuck on this screen for 3 and a half days now. So in terms of hours about 3x24+12= 84 hours in total. Unfortunately I didnt hook up the led for harddrive light on the case and I am not sure if there is activity on the hdds they are very quiet but the main hdd is pretty warm. Perhpas the hdd died? Then again when I move the mouse the power saving on the monitor is disabled and it changes from a black screen  back to the screen where it says finalizing installation. I can still move thoe mouse so it doesnt seem like its frozen up. No errors or anythign have come up. I have 4 x 1TB hdds in there pretty much filled up. I heard one guy say he had just under 1 tb of data and it took 16 hrs. Using this as an indicator I thought maybe 4 x 16 hrs then = 64 hrs but its been 20 hrs longer already and I have no idea if its even doing anything. I dont wanna bag Microsoft I actually liked WHS when I started using it until I started getting issues. I think the reinstall screen should have a warnign to let people know what is going on ie that its creating tombstones and that it could possibly take a very long time depending on how much data you have. I am unsure if mine is doing anything at all. It should at least throw an error I think if its not working or something went wrong. I am slighlty disappointed considerign I paid money for this. Should I take my hdds out throw them in another machine and try to save the data that way? Or should I just be patient and wait another god knows how many days? Pity theres no way to backup the database. As I said I dont want to bad this product but there are a few very dsiappoiniting issues with it even though I love some of it also. Sorry for my whinge guys I guess I am just a bit disappointed and dont feel liek losing all this data.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:05 AM
  • "Cooking up" old already answered threads for a new question is not a good idea. Create your own thread instead and try to use paragraphs to make your text better readable.

This being said - is your server responding at all (i.e. to a ping or pressing the num lock key)?

Since I don't have this amount of data, I cannot tell how long it should take (since it also will depend from the performance of the hardware, i.e. CPU and memory).

If this all goes wrong you may wish to check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to see how to get your data over to a new installation.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:02 AM
  • Danke Dir Olaf I took your advice.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:14 AM