Is it possible to have a table Synched to multiple datasources? RRS feed

• Question

• We are bringing together data from two sources into one table in our local SQLCE database.

e.g.
    Source A: Table1: PK1, Col1,Col2,Col3
    Source B: Table2: PK1, Col4,Col5
    Are mapped to
    SQLce: MergeTable: PK1, Col1,Col2,Col3,Col4,Col5

Source A is the "Master" i.e. there will not be a row in Source B for which there is not a corresponding row in Source A (but there may be a row in Source A for which there is no row in Source B, and hence Col4 and Col5 must take default values)

I really want to be sure that MSSync will allow me to set up two Sync Agents to different destination data sources, but mapping to same local SQLce table (but to different columns in this table).

Many thanks,
    Mark.

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 10:30 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 1:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Let me clarify; One table can synchronize with one data source. Another table in the same database can synchronize with a different data source.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Sync Services does not support multiple server scenario. The sync relationship in the first release of sync services will be restricted to 1 to 1. 1-n and n-n are possible but not in the scope of this release.

Thanks

Monday, July 9, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Hi Mark,

this is an interesting case but unfortunately this is not supported. the sync may run without exception, but since the tracking info was stored based on the table, you may get into situations where data is not convergent with the servers with this case.

Thanks

Yunwen

Monday, July 9, 2007 4:39 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the replies... there is still an element of confusion:

From your post, I can see that it is not supported to synchronise parts of a table with more than one data source, owing to tracking information being stored against the table.

From Rafik's post, things seem a little more draconian: It would appear that it is not supported to synchronise one SQLce database to more than one data source (even if the tables are entirely independent but just happen to be in the same database)

Synchronising to different datasources is important for us although we can probably do without having to merge multiple sources into one table (but a nice feature that would be!)

I really need to be clear on this one.

Thanks,
    Mark.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:14 AM
  • Hi,

Let me clarify; One table can synchronize with one data source. Another table in the same database can synchronize with a different data source.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:50 PM