Can't install MapPoint 2011 64 bit with 64 bit Office RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 7 64-bit. I recently upgraded to Office 2010, and it required me to remove all 32 bit Office programs from my computer to do that. Among the programs that had to removed was the Access Database Engine. After removing it, I was able to install Office. I also installed MapPoint 2011, which promptly put the ADE right back in. I then tried to install Visio 2010, and it informed me that I had to get rid of the ADE. Removing it allowed Visio to install. I then found and downloaded the 64-bit version of the ADE, but even after installing that, I am unable to open Excel files.I get an error message that states:

There was an problem opening: filename.xls

That is all the information it gives. I might also add that it takes an incredibly long time to bring up the open file dialog.

Is there something I can do to fix this situation, short of running MapPoint on another computer?

Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:38 PM

Answers

• I found the solution.  It was simply to uninstall MapPoint, do all of my Office 64 bit installations, and re-install MapPoint.  It works perfectly now.
    • Marked as answer by vpeppers Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:53 PM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:53 PM

All replies

• MapPoint is 32 bit - there is no 64 bit version.

In theory this means all add-ins/etc that work with it have to be 32 bit. Although some people have reported that they've managed to get MapPoint working with 64 bit Office, I generally do not expect this to work (for example, the MapPoint, 3rd party addin calling Excel will require a 32 bit Excel).

Office 2010 has a 32 bit version and it works fine in Windows x64.

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:30 PM
  • That's pretty crappy in 2011.  Windows 7 came out in 2008, and Microsoft made the 64 bit version the standard.  To force me to uninstall 64 bit software to go back to 32 bit software is really lame.  I really expect better of Microsoft than this.
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 11:19 PM
  • Something else is going wrong here, vpeppers; I do not think the problem is MapPoint 2011.  Like you, I am running Win 7 - 64 and Office 2010 but I have no problems running MapPoint 2011.  MapPoint 2011 works in a 64-bit environment.
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 2:28 PM
  • I found the solution.  It was simply to uninstall MapPoint, do all of my Office 64 bit installations, and re-install MapPoint.  It works perfectly now.
    • Marked as answer by vpeppers Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:53 PM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Great!
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:14 PM