none
Project Professional 2010 with Office 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a very big client on Project Server 2010. They want to upgrade to Office 2016.

Migrating the Project Server will be a huge task for them since they have a lot of customization on top and there is no functional benefit for them. 

Is it possible that their desktops will remain with Project Professional 2010, or can they connect Project Professional 2016 to Server 2010? What would you recommend?

Regards,

Barak

Thursday, July 28, 2016 8:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Barak,

I'd say first that Project Server 2010 is not anymore suported by Microsoft. Your customer might upgrade in order to use a reliable, up to date and supported version of Project. That being said, I also have a customer who is still with PS2010, quite satisfied with it and had no plan to migrate even if it is not supported anymore.

For your question, you can connect to PS2010 only with Project Pro 2010. Anyway this would be useless since most of the new features come from the server side and you wouldn't be able to use the client new feature without the server side. And on the other way around, you cannot connect to PS2016 and Project Online with Project Pro 2010.

I would recommend you to propose a preliminary study of the migration to Project Server 2016 or Project Online (assuming they move to O365), see how much it will cost versus keeping PS2010, and what will be the ROI/TCO. In other word, consider this migration as a project, with a business case with a GO/NOGO, a preliminary study, etc...

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:11 AM
  • Hi Barak,

I have a customer who uses Windows 10 with Office 2016 and still Project Server 2010, there is no issue. Anyway it would require to be fully tested on a test VM in order to check everything: reporting, gateway, exports, customizations...

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Barak,

I'd say first that Project Server 2010 is not anymore suported by Microsoft. Your customer might upgrade in order to use a reliable, up to date and supported version of Project. That being said, I also have a customer who is still with PS2010, quite satisfied with it and had no plan to migrate even if it is not supported anymore.

For your question, you can connect to PS2010 only with Project Pro 2010. Anyway this would be useless since most of the new features come from the server side and you wouldn't be able to use the client new feature without the server side. And on the other way around, you cannot connect to PS2016 and Project Online with Project Pro 2010.

I would recommend you to propose a preliminary study of the migration to Project Server 2016 or Project Online (assuming they move to O365), see how much it will cost versus keeping PS2010, and what will be the ROI/TCO. In other word, consider this migration as a project, with a business case with a GO/NOGO, a preliminary study, etc...

Hope this helps,

Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:11 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

My question is not about client version vs. server version. It is about project client (and the server that comes with it) version vs. office version.

My client already had an ROI/TCO for what he wants. They want to give GO to Office 2016 and No-Go to Project Server 2016. This will result (they hope) in Project Server 2010, project clients 2010 (as you mentioned, this is the only client supported) and office 2016. Is this combination feasible?

Regards,

Barak

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:46 PM
  • Hi Barak,

I have a customer who uses Windows 10 with Office 2016 and still Project Server 2010, there is no issue. Anyway it would require to be fully tested on a test VM in order to check everything: reporting, gateway, exports, customizations...

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:59 PM
  • I have been running my it this way for quite a while. Office 2016 + Project Pro 2010.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:15 PM