localization issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am a student in an international university in Germany, and since that means I'll be here for a while, I ordered a new laptop from a local company. It came this morning, but unfortunately for me the keyboard and OS are all in German :(

While the keyboard is not that much of a problem, I would really like to have my Windows in plain English, as my German is lousy and I don't plan to improve it (all my classes are in English, all students and professors must speak English on campus etc.).

Is it possible to switch to English from a localized version (by the way, the OS is Windows XP MCE 2005)? Or can I use the key provided to install from an English version? I'd really like to not buy another license just for the language...

Many thanks for any advice you may have!

Friday, February 16, 2007 1:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Again Liniste,

Here is what we have tried so far:

-I first thought we could just change the Language setting in your Windows to English, but we tried it here and that didn't work.
    -Next we tried to install the Multi-language pack on our test copy of XP German, but it will only install on the English version of XP.

So at this point, you have 4 options.

1) -This is a low cost option-  Contact your Retailer and see if they have a English version Repair Disk. If the computer is from a large Company like Dell, HP (so on), They should have no problem getting the English repair disk. If the company is smaller, then they may not have a English version available.  (you should be able to use the same Product Key as is shown on your CoA. Your install would be Genuine)

2) -This is a higher cost option- Buy a retail English version of Windows XP or Vista and replace your current version. (You will have a full version of XP with a retail license and your install would be Genuine)

3) -This is, probably, a higher cost option- Buy a English version of Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and replace your current version. - (Although Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is usually only available pre-installed on a computer, I have seen it sold by itself. You should be very careful when buying it and only buy it thru a trusted retailer. This will most likely cost you full price and should include it's own Product Key. If the product is not pirated, your install would be Genuine)

4) -This is the lowest cost option, but also the Riskiest!- Find a copy of the English version of Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 software and replace your current OS using the Product Key found on your CoA.

There are 2 kinds of OEM licenses. "OEM System Builder" and "OEM SLP".
    -If your current XP MCE 2005 is under a "OEM System Builder" license, you can use the  Product Key from your CoA for the English version of XP MCE 2005 and your install would be Genuine,
    -If your current XP MCE 2005 is under the "OEM SLP" license then the product key, on your CoA, is tied to files found on that computer. If you use the Product Key from your CoA to replace the current OS with an English version that doesn't have those files, then you would NOT have a Genuine install. (this is why I suggest contacting the Retailer for an English repair disk as the repair disk would have those files)

You can find out what license your XP MCE 2005 is under by downloading and running the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. In the report, look for "Windows License Type"(Line 8)

I hope this helps!

Thank you,
    Darin

Friday, February 16, 2007 10:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Liniste,

You have sparked an interesting discussion here. I now have a Tester installing a German version of XP to figure out some answers for you.

I will post back in a bit with more information.

Thank you,
    Darin

Friday, February 16, 2007 8:16 PM
  • Hi Again Liniste,

Here is what we have tried so far:

-I first thought we could just change the Language setting in your Windows to English, but we tried it here and that didn't work.
    -Next we tried to install the Multi-language pack on our test copy of XP German, but it will only install on the English version of XP.

So at this point, you have 4 options.

1) -This is a low cost option-  Contact your Retailer and see if they have a English version Repair Disk. If the computer is from a large Company like Dell, HP (so on), They should have no problem getting the English repair disk. If the company is smaller, then they may not have a English version available.  (you should be able to use the same Product Key as is shown on your CoA. Your install would be Genuine)

2) -This is a higher cost option- Buy a retail English version of Windows XP or Vista and replace your current version. (You will have a full version of XP with a retail license and your install would be Genuine)

3) -This is, probably, a higher cost option- Buy a English version of Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and replace your current version. - (Although Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is usually only available pre-installed on a computer, I have seen it sold by itself. You should be very careful when buying it and only buy it thru a trusted retailer. This will most likely cost you full price and should include it's own Product Key. If the product is not pirated, your install would be Genuine)

4) -This is the lowest cost option, but also the Riskiest!- Find a copy of the English version of Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 software and replace your current OS using the Product Key found on your CoA.

There are 2 kinds of OEM licenses. "OEM System Builder" and "OEM SLP".
    -If your current XP MCE 2005 is under a "OEM System Builder" license, you can use the  Product Key from your CoA for the English version of XP MCE 2005 and your install would be Genuine,
    -If your current XP MCE 2005 is under the "OEM SLP" license then the product key, on your CoA, is tied to files found on that computer. If you use the Product Key from your CoA to replace the current OS with an English version that doesn't have those files, then you would NOT have a Genuine install. (this is why I suggest contacting the Retailer for an English repair disk as the repair disk would have those files)

You can find out what license your XP MCE 2005 is under by downloading and running the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. In the report, look for "Windows License Type"(Line 8)

I hope this helps!

Thank you,
    Darin

Friday, February 16, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Hi Darin,

Thanks for your quick reply. I checked my license type and unfortunately is SLP (I guess that's another reason why I don't have a Windows install disk but a full system recovery dvd with a 1.5 Gb ghost image of the whole C drive). I'll try to get an English version for the disk - the laptop is an ASUS, so it should not be such a big problem. 

Thanks again,
    Julian

Saturday, February 17, 2007 12:42 AM