Remote Web Access and addin security RRS feed

• Question

• I have enabled remote web access on Windows Home Server 2011 RC for a friend so they can download documents and photos.  I have only given them access to those folders and turned off media streaming as that cannot be restricted. However, when they log in to the server, all of the addin betas I have installed, such as WakeOnLAN and LightsOut show up, enabling them to manipulate the other computers connected to WHS.  Is this something that can be prevented or something the addin developer has to implement?
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:55 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately an official extension point for this kind of stuff is missing (otherwise I would have  added that to Lights-Out).

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:42 AM
  • (see Martin remarks)
    I do no know of any functionality in WHS 2011 to prevent add-in functionality based on the loged-in users right. Apart from the fact that the add-in developer could implement some security features on this part, the only (unsupported) way would be to manually remove the add-in from the remote website.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, March 18, 2011 10:33 PM