Missing desktop icons and start menu? RRS feed

• Question

• Late last night I was propted with a minor threat from norton after it had finished running a quick scan.  It suggested not to be concerned, but stated it wanted to retart the computer.  After restarting my computer I've found that I no longer have any of my desk top icons, the start menu, or the task bar.  I can still run programs through task manager, and I then went on line on downloaded the trail OneCare version.  It did find something, and took care of it; however, I still don't have my icons, start menu, or task bar.  I read somewhere about something called explorer.  From what I read it sounds as though this should be running as an app. however, that is not the case.  So now I'm now asking for help from anyone who can help me understand what happened, why, and how I can go about restoring explorer, or how ever I might go about righting that which ills my computer.  Thank you for your time.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:27 PM

Answers

• Explorer is not starting either because the malware is still present or a registry entry is either damaged or missing due to the malware or it's removal. This is just my best guess. You may be able to start explorer manually by opening Task manager, selecting "New Task" and entering explorer.exe in the Run box. I suggest contacting One Care support to help restore full functionality to your computer. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2  

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:56 PM