CRM 4.0 Migration RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hai Experts

I am using CRM 3.0 and my existing system contains lost of customizations in entity and reports. Also i had implemented some customization using callouts. Now i am in a status to migrate my system to 4.0 immediately. So any one can help me

1. Do i need to install a fresh CRM 4.0 and then move CRM 3.0 datas into CRM 4.0 system, or can i upgrade to 4.0 from the existing CRM 3.0 itself (Is there any migration document related to it?)

2. Do my customized entity can be migrated to 4.0, If it cant be how can i overcome it (Suggession pls...)

3. Do i have to rework on the report?

4. Is there any defined steps that such and such components should be migrated first??

5. How to migrate user Login informations?

6. Does IFD uses Active directory and User Login Informain to allow users to login into CRM?

7. I had made customization in entity inorder to support currency, 4.0 had inbuilt currency. I want to migrate the entity. How can overcome this during upgrade?

Any help will be highly usefull

Regards

Deforal

Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:10 AM

Answers

• The upgrade process of CRM 4 will take care of most of this for you.  It will update the schema to the v4 shema and all your data, users and customizations will come across as well.

IFD soes still require AD under the covers, all it does is enable forms-based authentication so that you can access reliably from outside the firewall.

Your reports "may" need to be upgraded.  You may want to test them out during a test upgrade to see what might no longer work with 4.0.

As for the steps, I would recommedn the following:

- Use backup/restore and the Redeployment Wizrd to setup a copy of your prod system to test the upgrade.  During this phase, you will need to pick a new OU to put the AD object in so that there is seperation from the production AD objects.  This is a requirement here if you are working in teh same doman or the test updgrade could affect your production system.

- install CRM 3 pointing to the "redeployed" DB.

- Run the setup wizrd for 4.0 on the redeployed server.

- Test the upgraded system and various components.

On the currency question, you will probalby want to migrate to the default multi-currency capabilities.  This will require writing some code to go through and update the data of any records that require the multi-currency support, then after the update has run, you can drop your new entity.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:28 PM

All replies

•  

see common upgrade issue

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947061

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:57 AM
  • The upgrade process of CRM 4 will take care of most of this for you.  It will update the schema to the v4 shema and all your data, users and customizations will come across as well.

IFD soes still require AD under the covers, all it does is enable forms-based authentication so that you can access reliably from outside the firewall.

Your reports "may" need to be upgraded.  You may want to test them out during a test upgrade to see what might no longer work with 4.0.

As for the steps, I would recommedn the following:

- Use backup/restore and the Redeployment Wizrd to setup a copy of your prod system to test the upgrade.  During this phase, you will need to pick a new OU to put the AD object in so that there is seperation from the production AD objects.  This is a requirement here if you are working in teh same doman or the test updgrade could affect your production system.

- install CRM 3 pointing to the "redeployed" DB.

- Run the setup wizrd for 4.0 on the redeployed server.

- Test the upgraded system and various components.

On the currency question, you will probalby want to migrate to the default multi-currency capabilities.  This will require writing some code to go through and update the data of any records that require the multi-currency support, then after the update has run, you can drop your new entity.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:28 PM