none
Money keeps shutting down RRS feed

• Question

• I was half way through adding some new investments when Money shut down. When I tried to reopen it the program started showing the left hand side of the home page but after a few moments it shut down before loading the investments. I copied the mymoney file to a memory stick, opened money on my other computer and repaired, level 2, the money file on the disc. The log file said no data errors. I then tried to run the repaired file on computer two first opening the old file then asking it to open the repaired file. It shut down money before opening it. I then uninstalled money and reinstalled. The new program went immediately to the repaired file and shut down. It does not open for long enough to change the file it is opening.

I am running UK version 2005 QFE version. This fault is very recent and I am stuck as to how to get out of the loop and how to repair the program. Can anyone help please?

Richard

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 11:18 PM

All replies

• Open sample.mny.  If that works, the problem would appear to not be
    the installation.  Continue with this:

Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    Investment Performance module.  There has been a problem where a
    lot of investments triggers a crash upon opening where Money opens
    to the "Home Page".

If you still have a problem, remove
    everything.  If the problem goes away, you can add things back
    until the crash does not happen.  Add back in the other things you
    want on the home page.  Let us know which was the problem module.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 11:58 PM
  • I tried your instructions but did not get very far. I opened the tools/settings general display options and  then start money with account list.

I then tried to open the problem file from the open program. It did the same thing as before. It opened the left hand side of the home page, waited a few moments then shut down, tried to reopen to the same point and shut down for good.

I have noticed that for a while, the program is leaving an money.lrd file which it did not used to do. is this a clue?

Richard

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:34 AM
  • When you start Sample.mny now, does it start with the account list open?

Regarding the *.lrd record locking file, that is normally present while Money is open. It gets deleted after the money processes have closed. If it stays present for many minutes after a crash, you can delete it.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:01 PM
  • Cal

thank you for your continued help

Yes sample does start with the account list open. It was the next step of trying to open the problem file that did not work.

I have since skipped that problem file step and moved straight onto removing the performance module from the home page and have been able to restore the backup file for the file sequentially before the problem file which fortunately is only one day old, so i can update manually. However, I note that the new my money file created does not have a money logo only a white sheet with the corner turned down in the documents folder.

I have deleted at least 10 lrd files from documents so guess the program is not closing properly when it crashes and perhaps sometimes when I close it.

Let us hope that removing the performance module is going to provide a permanent solution. I have recently been buying ETS' something I have not done before. Could that have triggered the problem as they have unusual tickers? The hleofx download works well with them. Is there any limit in the size of money files as i have been swapping quite a lot of investments as i have recently retired and need the income rather than accumulations so I guess the number of transactions has gone up and the price downloads is now about 60 a day.

Do you have any ideas on the shut down and the missing logo?

Richard

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 4:47 PM
  • I think the Performance module problem is related to how many investments there are rather than what the investments are.

I don't know what is causing your missing icons. I did some searching, and saw various ideas.

For myself, I would set File Explorer / Windows Explorer to not hide https://www.howtogeek.com/205086/beginner-how-to-make-windows-show-file-extensions/ but others like the hiding.

In the case of funny stuff, you could try reinstalling Money 2005.

My Money Plus *.mny file is currently 235,225,088 bytes. My latest *.mbf is 47,830,958 bytes. Quotes, including for watch accounts, increase the file size.

Money 2005 only automatically keeps one level of upon-exit backup by default. With one level, if your file got corrupted, you could end up backing up the corrupted files over your only good backups.  Use some method where you periodically copy the latest *.mbf files to other media, perhaps with different names. There are various strategies. Hard drives fail occasionally.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 6:12 PM