Need clarification about ITunes integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need a setup for SqueezeBox and ITunes. I have purchased dbpoweramp to import all songs to the server in FLAC. Now SqeezeBox is happy, but ITunes isnt. I do NOT want ITunes to alter these data at all!! I f need be I could duplicate all songs and have them stored as wav/mp3 for Itunes to mess with. How to setup ITunes for this scenario? What addins do I want for ITunes to be happy?

Edit: ITunes is ONLY used for transferring music to IPods. ITunes is not going to import any music!

Thanks!

--
    Werner
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:30 AM

Answers

• You'll pardon me if I misunderstood you, but you asked how you could make iTunes do something...

No such add-in exists. Firefly mimics the streaming capability that Apple includes in iTunes; effectively it appears (to iTunes or devices that can consume iTunes streaming) to be iTunes running on a computer somewhere on your network. So just as you can't make changes to an external (streamed) library in iTunes, you can't make changes to the media that Firefly exposes. You can only play it. But Firefly isn't a Windows Home Server add-in. It's an open source streaming server that can deliver ALAC and AAC to iTunes consumers (in addition to other file formats).

I get the feeling that you haven't thought through in detail exactly what you want. Often, the process of figuring out what your exact needs and desires are will lead to a solution, or at least a better set of questions. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Werner Clausen Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:35 PM

All replies

• For questions about iTunes (and that is what you're asking about), I'm going to direct you to the appropriate Apple forum. However, to make a long story short, iTunes doesn't support flac, period. You will have to find some way to transcode to a format that iTunes does support.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:02 PM
  • Hi Ken,

No that is a misunderstanding. Im not asking about ITunes. But let me rephrase the issue: Im asking about an add-in for WHS that can deliver read-only material to ITunes. Or as an alternative have some duplicate structure of my files. For example there is an Add-In that can handle Firefly Media server (which streams to ITunes), but I thought there would be other solutions / add-in's that I jsut dont know about...

the trouble with Firefly media server and the Firefly add-in (as I understand it) is that it delivers a writeable entry for ITunes which then can (and will) write tags and such to the files - which I dont want since it will break my Squeezebox collection.

--
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:18 PM
  • You'll pardon me if I misunderstood you, but you asked how you could make iTunes do something...

No such add-in exists. Firefly mimics the streaming capability that Apple includes in iTunes; effectively it appears (to iTunes or devices that can consume iTunes streaming) to be iTunes running on a computer somewhere on your network. So just as you can't make changes to an external (streamed) library in iTunes, you can't make changes to the media that Firefly exposes. You can only play it. But Firefly isn't a Windows Home Server add-in. It's an open source streaming server that can deliver ALAC and AAC to iTunes consumers (in addition to other file formats).

I get the feeling that you haven't thought through in detail exactly what you want. Often, the process of figuring out what your exact needs and desires are will lead to a solution, or at least a better set of questions. :)

• Marked as answer by Werner Clausen Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:35 PM

Well thanks for the clarification Ken. It sounds like something I have to try out. I was referring to this add-in: http://www.whsplus.com/2009/04/11/firefly-whs/ btw, but I doubt it if it expands Firefly in any way.

And you are right - I havent thought it through (at all actually). I just won this WHS edition on Technet and now awaiting my order for server and SqueezeBox. But the other day as I ordered the hardware, the wife warning me that her ITunes better work after my shift from Nas  to WHS. So I was UTG and needed some input fast you see :)

I think I'll just give it a go and see what happens...

Thanks.

--
    Werner

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Werner,

I don't know if any of the below is of any help to you:

Running Power Pack 3 on WHS, I am able to do the following with streaming music:

From all PC's in the house, play music from the WHS using Windows Media Player. Library is connected to the shared Music folder on WHS. No local content on PC's.

From Vista Media Center PC, paly musci from WHS using VMC.

From Wife PC, transfer music to iPod using iTunes. ITunes sees only Music folder on WHS. She never plays music from the PC - only iPod.

All music on WHS in MP3 format.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:02 AM
  • ... From Wife PC, transfer music to iPod using iTunes. ITunes sees only Music folder on WHS. She never plays music from the PC - only iPod.
    How is iTunes set up on Wife's PC? Is WHS\Music a mapped drive? I can't get the kids' iPods to transfer songs located on the server. That causes resistance by them to using the server as the sole location of all music. Further explanation of your setup for that purpose would be helpful.

Thanks.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:21 AM
  • How is iTunes set up on Wife's PC? Is WHS\Music a mapped drive? I can't get the kids' iPods to transfer songs located on the server. That causes resistance by them to using the server as the sole location of all music. Further explanation of your setup for that purpose would be helpful.

I am struggling with similar issues.

NPA must have setup his wife's iTunes library to point at the WHS music folder directly (versus using the share that Firefly serves).  So she really has a local library that points at the music files on the network.  I have tried this as well and it will allow me to drag music to my iPod.  However, it also allows iTunes to mess with the files....edit tags even delete the entire file.  I do not want iTunes to have that capability....I am looking for read-only access plus the ability to copy songs to iPods.

I got further than Werner by dealing with the FLAC/iTunes issue.  After I use dbPowerAmp ripper to rip files to FLAC, I use dbPowerAmp's batch converter to create MP3 versions of all of the FLAC files.  I planned on doing this anyway since playing FLAC files on portable players is not very practical.

My WHS music share has two sub directories:
    \FLAC
    \MP3

My Squeezebox Server points at the \FLAC directory so I stream lossless to my Squeezeboxes in the house.

I setup the Firefly WHS Add-in to serve the MP3 files to iTunes clients.  Note that I had to login to my WHS box and alter the Firefly config to point at Music\mp3.  It defaults to just \Music so I saw two copies of every song in iTunes (one FLAC and one MP3).

With this setup I can browse and play the music on my WHS in iTunes from any computer in my network.  The Firefly server manages the library and scans for changes in the music\mp3 directory.  However, I cannot drag the songs to my iPod.....which is the last hurdle I am trying to get over.

Until I have a more elegant solution, I have used a program called SharePod that allows you to copy music to an iPod without adding it first to a local iTunes library.  It's a pretty easy to use free program that has worked for me so far (I am not affiliated with it in any way).  I simply select the files on my WHS share that I want to copy and it copies them to the iPod.

As Ken mentioned, at this point my issue is really with iTunes and Apple regarding the ways to fill up an iPod.  It would be much easier if the ipod simply mounted a drive letter and allowed files to be copied to the iPod with any of a million tools that copy files......but no, Apple has to do it their own way.  If iTunes ever allows files that are exposed via a share to be copied to an iPod, we may have a chance with the Firefly add-in's share.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:41 AM
  • So she really has a local library that points at the music files on the network.  I have tried this as well and it will allow me to drag music to my iPod.  However, it also allows iTunes to mess with the files....edit tags even delete the entire file.  I do not want iTunes to have that capability....I am looking for read-only access plus the ability to copy songs to iPods...
    Can iTunes not be set to disallow the file manipulation, in the same manner that WMP can be?

...but no, Apple has to do it their own way.
    But Apple's such a benign company that does everything for the consumer's benefit.

If iTunes ever allows files that are exposed via a share to be copied to an iPod, we may have a chance with the Firefly add-in's share.
    I suspect DRM considerations come into play in that design.

Chris
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:17 PM