none
Problems with system file cache when syncing NAS and USB drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I've run into a problem trying to both echo and mirror a very large collection of files (both in terms of the size (eg CD ISO images) and numbers (eg windows install CDs)) between a NAS box (LaCie 1TB big disk) and an 2.5" external drive (lacie 250 GB, running both USB 2 and Firewire), over a 100 mb wired network (new top end belkin switch) with my laptop (ASUS A6000K but with a brand new 120 GB HDD and clean install of windows XP all fully patched etc). 

The problem is that everything starts fine with SyncToy (V2 current download) progress bar initially charging along with files processed at a great speed, then things start to slow down and then halt.  As luck would have it the latest technixupdate.com newsletter covered pcwintech.com/cleanmem which linked through to SysInternals (I am not worthy) CacheSet v1.0 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897561.aspx .  Clean mem uses the same hooks that CacheSet uses to clear the  system file cache, and from the CacheSet utility its clear that the system file cache is filling up very quickly and I’d put a dollar on that fact that its synctoy. 

I’ve also see the post about file write errors to NAS boxes so I’m guessing this is a bug, or just me trying to do a shed load more than SyncToy was conceived to do. 

I can work around by splitting the job into many, but I hope that this info helps with future versions.

Cheers

Merf

Saturday, May 2, 2009 3:09 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem. Processor get to 100% utilization after 140 files copied!

Sunday, May 10, 2009 9:23 PM
  • same problem, using Vista with ext. USB-Drive, want to sync from QNAP network storage
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 12:48 PM
  • I had the same problem and found a fix.  It may or may not work for you.

After hours of trying everything i discovered that it was todo with file names.  Special Characters and in some combinations, spaces.  My work around was to focus on the directories where it fails, simplify the file names in that folder and then run synctoy again.  once you find out what the issues are with your naming structure you can then do a mass search and replace.

i found that it had nothing todo with file size, number of files, traffic speed, NAS connectivity or andwidth.

I hope this helps - keep me posted.

Lee
    mrleemarshall@gmail.com
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Hi -

Thanks for posting what you found works for you. Could you post back with what characters you think were causing issues? And what locale is the OS that you are running SyncToy on?

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:41 PM
  • I found that it doesn't like underscores and spaces.

I am using Vista 32 Ultimate SP1 and then SP2 ( and it still works).  Across all folders the size is c42Gb and approx 17k files.

Is there any new features coming out soon?

Thx

Friday, June 19, 2009 6:58 PM