Back Up Disks RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to back up my system yesterday, using Onecare.  It keeps saying to load a DVD+RW Disk, which I do, but it will not accept the disk.  I purchased a new pack, and tried four of the new ones also, and they still won't read.  I tried the D drive, and the E drive.  Do these disks have to be formatted or anything prior to back-up?
    Thanks
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:52 PM

Answers

• Try formatting a DVD in Windows first. Put a DVD in the drive then go to Start>My Computer, right click the drive with the disc in it and select "format", then try to use the disc for One Care backup.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 12:41 AM
  • You should not need to do anything to the discs before use unless the discs were pre-formatted by the manufacturer, which is rare.
    We typically recommend using the cheaper DVD+/- R discs rather than RW discs as they are more reliable, more compatible, and OneCare balks at re-using erased RW discs.
    If you are unable to back up using your RW discs even after following Jim's advice, before buying any more discs, contact support. There may be a conflict on the PC with other burning software.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:10 PM

All replies

• Try formatting a DVD in Windows first. Put a DVD in the drive then go to Start>My Computer, right click the drive with the disc in it and select "format", then try to use the disc for One Care backup.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 12:41 AM
  • You should not need to do anything to the discs before use unless the discs were pre-formatted by the manufacturer, which is rare.
    We typically recommend using the cheaper DVD+/- R discs rather than RW discs as they are more reliable, more compatible, and OneCare balks at re-using erased RW discs.
    If you are unable to back up using your RW discs even after following Jim's advice, before buying any more discs, contact support. There may be a conflict on the PC with other burning software.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:10 PM