Hopefully an easy database question about metadataschema RRS feed

• Question

• In the table, metadataschema.relationship, what does relationshiptype actually mean? I selected distinct on that field and got back 0,1,2, and 4, and I thought originally it would indicate Referential, System, Configurable Cascade, etc, but it doesn't seem to mean that. Thoughts?
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:41 PM

Answers

• Internal use only fields/properties are not officially documented anywhere.  Even by looking at the "relationshiptype" you would not necessarily know for sure if the relationship's cascade actions could be changed.  I think this would be easier going through the SDK.

You can retrieve all of the relationships through the SDK, check their types, current cascade actions, then based on some logic you will be able to determine if the cascade actions can be changed.  I suggest using the UI to help identify the logic necessary to determine if the cascade actions can be changed.  If the relationship is notcustomizable, type system, etc it can/cannot be changed.

-Brandon

• Marked as answer by nick.Oak Friday, July 29, 2011 4:58 PM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:55 PM

All replies

• You are along the right track, but we don't expose all relationship types through the UI/SDK.  The other types have specific impementations internal to CRM.  Is there something you are trying to identify from the database that you cannot do through the SDK?

Thanks,

Brandon

Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Is there a listing of any of these internal meanings in the documentation? Honestly I'm more curious than anything else. I wanted to draw a graphical representation of cascading rules (think visio/graphviz), and whether or not they're able to be modified. The ultimate goal would be to generate a diagram that shows cascading actions from a source entity down to the child entities. This would be a nice way to let others make business decisions.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Internal use only fields/properties are not officially documented anywhere.  Even by looking at the "relationshiptype" you would not necessarily know for sure if the relationship's cascade actions could be changed.  I think this would be easier going through the SDK.

You can retrieve all of the relationships through the SDK, check their types, current cascade actions, then based on some logic you will be able to determine if the cascade actions can be changed.  I suggest using the UI to help identify the logic necessary to determine if the cascade actions can be changed.  If the relationship is notcustomizable, type system, etc it can/cannot be changed.

-Brandon

• Marked as answer by nick.Oak Friday, July 29, 2011 4:58 PM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:55 PM