Offline Address Book cannot be download RRS feed

• Question

• I've completed the transition of Exchange 2003 to 2007.
    After decommission of Exchange 2003, the Offline Address Book (OAB) cannot be downloaded from MS Oulook 2003 / 2007.

Before Exchange 2003 decommission, I've already completed the following steps to ensure all the things moved to Exchange 2007 before Exchange 2003 decommission.

Replicate and rehome all Public Folders to Exchange 2007
    Rehome Connectors to Exchange 2007
    Rehome the Schedule+ Free Busy Folder to Exchange 2007
    Rehome the Offline Address Book Folder
    Configure the inbound and outbound email with Exchange 2007
    Move Mailboxes to Another Server
    Rehome the Recipient Update Service (RUS)
    Remove the First Exchange 2003 Server Computer

All the mail flow is OK and OWA is fine. The OAB cannot be downloaded in MS Outlook 2003 / 2007 with the following error:

11:45:00 Synchronizer Version 12.0.6504
    11:45:00 Synchronizing Mailbox 'Ex2K7Test01'
    11:45:00 Done
    11:45:01 Microsoft Exchange offline address book
    11:45:01  Not downloading Offline address book files.  A server (URL) could not be located.
    11:45:01 0X8004010F

I've tried to remove and recreate the OAB. And also configured with web distribution and public folder distribution, as default OAB in mailbox store, then update completely in EMS

The OAB Virtual Directory also removed, recreated and reconnected.

Internal & External URL is also configured https://xyz.domain.com/oab, trusted SSL cert installed.

Thanks for help
    Patrick Mak

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:14 AM

All replies

• Using the EXch 2007 Management Conseole, go to Server Configuration->Client Access

then select the appropriate server at the top, and the Outlook Address Book Distribution Tab.  In the open Dialog it shows you the Physical Path of where the OAB files are located, likely:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\OAB  You should see in that folder another folder like:

eed065f2-6bc1-4a83-af39-c3b8fddcbb02  and in that folder are the OAB files.

Make sure the OAB files are actually there and report back.  If not, then you need to go about creating them.

If this doesn't help, reply back and I'll try to help further.

-Barry

Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:39 AM
  • Thanks for you reply.

I've checked there is a folder "6436590f-e402-475e-90a5-2846b6ccdbde" in the path
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\OAB

And also the same copy in a shared folder "ExchangeOAB" with the path
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ExchangeOAB

I've run the get-OfflineAddressBook and get-OABVirtualDirectory in EMS as following output.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    get-OfflineAddressBook | fl

Server                                      : Ex2K7
    AddressLists                              : {Default Global Address List}
    Versions                                    : {Version2, Version3, Version4}
    IsDefault                                   : True
    PublicFolderDatabase                  : Ex2K7\Second Storage Group\Public Folder Database
    PublicFolderDistributionEnabled    : True
    WebDistributionEnabled               : True
    DiffRetentionPeriod                     : 30
    Schedule                                   : {Sun.5:00 AM-Sun.5:15 AM, Mon.5:00 AM-Mon.5:1
                                                     5 AM, Tue.5:00 AM-Tue.5:15 AM, Wed.5:00 AM-We
                                                     d.5:15 AM, Thu.5:00 AM-Thu.5:15 AM, Fri.5:00
                                                     AM-Fri.5:15 AM, Sat.5:00 AM-Sat.5:15 AM}
    VirtualDirectories                       : {OAB (Default Web Site)}
    ExchangeVersion                       : 0.1 (8.0.535.0)
    AdminDisplayName                    :
    Name                                       : Default OAB
    DistinguishedName                    : CN=Default OAB,CN=Offline Address Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=Organization Name,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Domain,DC=com
    Identity                                    : \Default OAB
    Guid                                        : 6436590f-e402-475e-90a5-2846b6ccdbde
    ObjectCategory                        : Domain.com/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-OAB
    ObjectClass                             : {top, msExchOAB}
    WhenChanged                         : 6/23/2009 6:41:44 PM
    WhenCreated                          : 6/23/2009 4:49:07 PM
    OriginatingServer                    : dc.domain.com
    IsValid                                    : True

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    get-OabVirtualDirectory | fl

Name                                       : OAB (Default Web Site)
    PollInterval                               : 480
    OfflineAddressBooks                  : {Default OAB}
    RequireSSL                               : True
    MetabasePath                            : IIS://Ex2K7.domain.com/W3SVC/1/ROOT/OAB
    Path                                         : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\OAB
    Server                                      : Ex2K7
    InternalUrl                                : https://exchange.domain.com/OAB
    InternalAuthenticationMethods    : {WindowsIntegrated}
    ExternalUrl                                : https://exchange.domain.com/OAB
    ExternalAuthenticationMethods    : {WindowsIntegrated}
    AdminDisplayName                    : 
    ExchangeVersion                       : 0.1 (8.0.535.0)
    DistinguishedName                    : CN=OAB (Default Web Site),CN=HTTP,CN=Protocols,CN=Ex2K7,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Organization Name,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com
    Identity                                     : Ex2K7\OAB (Default Web Site)
    Guid                                         : 90b45344-1ed9-4e3a-9cbe-1220c8b50d15
    ObjectCategory                         : domain.com/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-OAB-Virtual-Directory
    ObjectClass                               : {top, msExchVirtualDirectory, msExchOABVirtualDirectory}
    WhenChanged                           : 6/23/2009 6:42:28 PM
    WhenCreated                            : 6/23/2009 6:40:39 PM
    OriginatingServer                      : dc.domain.com
    IsValid                                      : True

Same domain name is used for internal and internet domain. A CNAME record is added with "Exchange" with pointing to the Ex2K7 external and internal IP in both external and internal DNS.

Patrick Mak

Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:56 AM
  • Outlook 2003 I believe uses a public folder to find the OAB, and there is something in Exch needed to support this, I'll look for you.

Outlook 2007 uses Autodiscover to find the url for the OAB and uses HTTPS to get it.  I had some difficulty setting this up but found a few web posts that help.  These got me through this:

http://www.exchangeninjas.com/cascertificateconfig?page-version=1&date=20070509153511

http://www.rackspace.com/apps/support/portal/1110/1146/1218

Let me know if the above 2 do not solve your Outlook 2007 issue.

In the Exchange Management Console, On the "Organization" settings, select "Mailbox," then "Offline Address Book".

You should have an entry there, open the properties for the OAB entry.

Did you check 1 or more of the Outlook 2003 distribution choices?  For Outlook 2007 you need to have web distribution setup.  Did you do that and do you have the "enable public folder distribution" choice checked?  It looks like you did, but I'm just checking.

If you don't have autodiscover setup right, Outlook 2007 will not be able to download the OAB.

-Barry

Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:26 AM
  • Also another thing to check out.

In the Exhcnage Console, go to the "Tools" page.  Open the Public Folder Management Console.

Under System Public Folders, you should find the OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK folder.  In there you should find your OAB folder and then a separate sub folder for each version of the OAB you checked in the OAB Properties page.

This will confirm that the Public folder is setup right, etc.

-Barry
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:38 AM