D-Link DSL-G624T Port Forwarding issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm having a few problems trying to get access to my WHS over the Internet on a D-Link DSL-G624T.

I have followed the instructions in WHS and set up Port Forwarding (I think) for ports 80,443 and 4125.

In the web interface I have navigated to:

WAN > Advanced (Tab) > Virtual Server

Created a rule called WHS

In it I have added:

Protocol     Port Start    Port End    Port Map

-------------------------------------------------------------

TCP            80                80               80

TCP            443              443            443

TCP            4125            4125          4125

I have applied the rule and saved and restarted the router.

The WHS has a static IP of 194.238.1.4 and the connection is Pvc0, (I use BT Broadband).

Strangely, there is a setting to enable UPnP however WHS still can't automatically configure the router.

When I browse to my URL <domainname>.livenode.com internally, I get prompted for the routers username and password. Externally, I just get "Page Not Displayed"

If anybody can help with this I would be eternally grateful!!

Thanks in advance

David

Thursday, April 26, 2007 8:54 PM

Answers

• hello,

in port forwarding set protocal to both not just tcp

UPnp will not work even if your router suports it and it's enabled until the final release.

good luck

Friday, April 27, 2007 7:08 AM

All replies

• I use a D-Link DI-604 - the configurations are slightly different, but your port settings look correct.

Internally you won't get to the WHS because the router does not support loopback - the URL provides the external ip of the router, but the router will not foward from the inside, so you end up with the router configuration page - you need to use the internal ip address of the WHS.

Externally - you might want to check with your ISP - many of them block port 80 along with several other ports to discourage people from running web servers - mine blocks port 80, 8080, and 443

One work around is to configure the router to forward to a different port - for example, you can tell the router to forward port 8080 external (public) to port 80 internal (private) and then use  - http://<your.URL.here>:8080 to get access.

If your ISP doesn't want to tell you which ports are blocked, it will some experimenting with forwarding to figure it out.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:28 PM
  • Thanks for this - I will look at it again.

According to some research I have done, my ISP (BT) don't block any ports so I think my router is throwing a bit of a hissy-fit!

Cheers

Thursday, April 26, 2007 11:38 PM
  • hello,

in port forwarding set protocal to both not just tcp

UPnp will not work even if your router suports it and it's enabled until the final release.

good luck

Friday, April 27, 2007 7:08 AM
  • Thanks everybody for your help

David

Friday, April 27, 2007 7:28 PM