off topic - hotmail accountcompromised RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am not sure what the problem stems from. there does'nt seem to be a area for mac users and I am fairly new at that.
    I am getting 60-70 return mailers i my hotmail that I never sent. I don't use windows I use safari on a mac. I don't know How to stop it or who to complain to. i don't want to close my hotmail because all my business cards have that address. My son said I should have never opened my mac up to microsoft programs. He said it would not have happened it I stuck to mac designs. Any ideas who to contact or how to fix?
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:34 PM

All replies

• Actually, it can happen to any account. A spammer has harvested your Hotmail address and is using it as the From field on spam being sent out to many addresses - and many are invalid address, hence the returns to you. They were not sent from your account and they were not sent from your machine. Tpyically, this problem should subside in a few days.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:59 AM
  • This happened specifically because you placed your IM address in a publicly displayed forum on the web. This is virtually a guarantee that you will receive spam, if not have your address abused in the way it has been.

To confirm this, simply search for your email address with Google and/or other search engines.

I have had the same hotmail (actually msn) address for a few years and have never gotten any spam, simply because I only gave the address to a few trusted individuals and reputable organizations I've done business with. In fact, to this point I've had no issue with the business account either, primariliy because the customer base is very small.

You may not be able to be so choosey if you use the address for business, so it's best to have a different address for business vs. personal use, so you can limit your exposure on the account you can exercise the most discretion with.

OneCareBear

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:16 AM