none
password wont work RRS feed

• Question

• I just built a WHS and I cant get connector to accept my password on my two windows 7 machines. one is a dell1746 with windows 7 home the other is a fujitsu p1610 with windows7 pro.  the whs is wired into the router and the other two are connecting wireless. router is a linksys wrt54g. i am installing connector from the whs and get to the point that it asks for a password.  I type my password and it says that its incorrect.  I have read through other forums and the fix they have seems to work for windows 7 builds before it was released. I don't have Nvidia video adapters like one fix suggested. I don't have hardware acceleration on the server. (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/c53c3663-dc8d-4e66-8d98-bb3ed327cc8c) any suggestions? I have the firewalls off and that doesn't help.  
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:49 PM

Answers

• Please check the date, time and timezone on the server and the clients - these should match. Especially on the server often Pacific time is the default time zone, if you now set the time to match your area and do not change that time zone you run into a gap, which blocks the authentication of the Windows 7 clients.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Jamon.usu Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:05 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 9:20 PM

All replies

• I just built a WHS and I cant get connector to accept my password on my two windows 7 machines. one is a dell1746 with windows 7 home the other is a fujitsu p1610 with windows7 pro.  the whs is wired into the router and the other two are connecting wireless. router is a linksys wrt54g. i am installing connector from the whs and get to the point that it asks for a password.  I type my password and it says that its incorrect.  I have read through other forums and the fix they have seems to work for windows 7 builds before it was released. I don't have Nvidia video adapters like one fix suggested. I don't have hardware acceleration on the server. (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/c53c3663-dc8d-4e66-8d98-bb3ed327cc8c) any suggestions? I have the firewalls off and that doesn't help.  

First, are you typing the server password (not a user password)?

Are you using different language versions between client and server (i.e. English WHS and German Win7)?  If so, does your server password have any special characters (symbols) that doesn't exist in a different language?

Friday, June 18, 2010 3:30 AM
  • I am completely new to whs and i'm running it for the first time so i'm just typing the servers password since i haven't set up the users yet.  I am pretty sure I'm using us editions on both and i'm only using one capital letter four lower case letters and four numbers. no symbols. they are both normal english legitimate coppies.  
    Friday, June 18, 2010 4:14 AM
  • Please check the date, time and timezone on the server and the clients - these should match. Especially on the server often Pacific time is the default time zone, if you now set the time to match your area and do not change that time zone you run into a gap, which blocks the authentication of the Windows 7 clients.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Jamon.usu Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:05 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 9:20 PM
  • thanks for your replies

the whs was on pacific time the laptops are both on mountain time (gmt-7) I changed the whs updated the time and restarted both computers. they are six min off but same problem.  from the windows 7 home dell 1746 i can see the whs on the network and get to //whs:55000/ to download the software and install it but when it asks for the server password it still says "the password is incorrect" I can see the password hint so i'm typing the password that it's asking for. do the times need to be exact?

Friday, June 18, 2010 11:58 PM
  • The Dell1746 started working thanks for everyones help

Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:07 AM