Refactoring / Code Improvement using plugIn PostImage object RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is a follow on question to:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4dfa157c-0310-44f5-873d-787857f155d1/help-adding-a-field-to-the-address-table-and-populating-it?forum=crmdevelopment

So I have created a plug-in to copy the extra address fields we have created for our internal biz requirements. I register the plug-in, register the step, and register a PostImage. Specifically the Step is on the Create message and the primary entity is contact.

The image is a PostImage and all attributes for now.

So what I want to do is update the contact address fields with the values coming from the Opportunity. I am currently doing this and it works but now I am going back to refactor it and could use some help making it more professional.

if (ExecContext.MessageName == "Create")
    {
       Entity postEntityImg = ExecContext.PostEntityImages["PostAddyImage"];

So far so good. BTW addy1_city etc. are local string vars.

if (ExecContext.MessageName == "Create")
    {
       Entity postEntityImg = ExecContext.PostEntityImages["PostAddyImage"];

#region Check for atty and populate if exists

#region Addy1

if (postEntityImg.Attributes.Contains("address1_city"))
       {
          addy1_city = (string)postEntityImg.Attributes["address1_city"];
       }

.....etc it keeps going through each field.

Once I have all my local variables populated I then do this bit of ugly stuff to update the entity.

//query to get address recorxds
    var res = from c in SvcCtxt.CreateQuery("customeraddress")
    where c["parentid"].Equals(AddyContactId)
    select c;

foreach (var c in res)
    {
       Entity e = (Entity)c;

//we need to id which addy record we are updating and assign proper values

if (addy1_city.ToString() == c["city"].ToString() && addy1_pobox.ToString() == c["postofficebox"].ToString() && addy1_stateprov.ToString() == c["stateorprovince"].ToString() && addy1_Line1 == c["line1"].ToString() && addy1_postcode == c["postalcode"].ToString())
                                    {
                                        e["xyz_stateprovincenoniso"] = bmgi_stateprovinceid;
                                        e["xyz_countryregionnoniso"] = bmgi_countryregionid;
                                    }

if (addy2_city == c["city"].ToString() && addy2_pobox.ToString() == c["postofficebox"].ToString() && addy2_stateprov == c["stateorprovince"].ToString() && addy2_Line1 == c["line1"].ToString() && addy2_postcode == c["postalcode"].ToString())
                                    {
                                        e["xyz_stateprovincenoniso"] = bmgi_stateprovince2id;
                                        e["xyx_countryregionnoniso"] = bmgi_countryregion2id;
                                    }

//ServiceContext.Attach(e);
                                    ServiceContext.UpdateObject(e);
                                }

ServiceContext.SaveChanges();

So this really needs to be written in a much cleaner and more effective manner but I'm afraid I don't know enough of the details.

For example is there a better way to access/loop the PostImage attributes?

What if there is only one addy filled out on the opportunity?

How can I discern which addy from the query projection I am working with. I.E. addy one or two?

Finally I am not asking you to do my work simply tell me what subjects / concepts to read up on and I'll take it from there.

Thank You

Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:25 AM