none
Unidentified wireless network shows below my private wireless network in the notification area - windows 8.1

Question

• Hi Paul,

I am on a private wireless network, name showing in notification area.

Problem 1:

A week or two ago, an unidentified wireless network suddenly appeared in the notification area. Name of the network is Vortex.  No response when I click or right click on it, to 'forget this network'. Drop down menu connect automatically is ticked- when I remove tick-- it returns.  When I click connect, window opens prompting for a password.  Often when I want to check if its still there it is there momentarily and then disappears altogether. I have no path for this 'rogue' network, so cannot search for its location on my PC, so there's no way I know how to remove.  I have a very stringent antivirus, malware application and also use Malwarebytes to remove infections and spyware. However, I searched online for this Vortex network and it seems that it is malware-- however, after full scans of my PC, with both my internet security app and Malwarebytes, this Vortex network still appears in the network notification window below my private network server.  How do I remove it?  And what settings should I temporarily activate in the Network and Sharing Center in order to view all networks on my PC in Command prompt?   This network can surely not be a neighbour's network-- as my connection settings are very private.  I cannot block it with Firewall, because no path is available to do so. I have a feeling this Vortex may have been bundled with and hidden within downloaded software, videos, or files.  Since it presence appeared in the notification area,  my private connection has been disconnected a number of times.  Maybe others have had a similar problem, but there's no way I can solve this one! 

Problem 2:

In Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center -- My private network name displays as a Public network.  Surely it should display as a Private Network?  And if the latter is correct, how do I change it to display as a Private network?

I am sure you know the answers to all the above!  Thank you.

Friday, March 03, 2017 10:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Should be fine as long as you don't connect to the unknown network. I'd ask them more over here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/networking

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 03, 2017 1:24 PM
  • Thank you-- it  is just that it swipes my bandwidth.... and it slows down my connection, so all round its a bit frustrating.  Thanks for the link, will go ask there too ...
    Friday, March 03, 2017 1:32 PM