ERROR DURING INSTALLATION RRS feed

• Question

• Help!!

I had my server installed with CTP version, and I was waiting of the RC with high hopes!

I got totally stopped with the RC. I downloaded it, burned it, tried to install it, and it gives me error of reading and using the installation files copied on the hard drive (blue screen after reboot "Installation of Windows 2003 Server Small Buisness". The files in error are never the same ones.

- I redonwload the iso 3 times from 3 different computers

- I burned from 2 different burners

- I burned on differents DVDs

- I burned at max and min speed (4x and 1x)

- I tried two different drives (PATA 300Go Maxtor, PATA 320Go Seagate)

- The hard drive is a Master on the primary IDE channel

I don't know what to do! I installed the last DVD I burned on a virtual PC (using Virtual PC 2007), no problem at all.

My server is composed of :

- a Sempron 2800+

- a MSI mother board K9VGM-V

- 512Mo of DDR2 PC4200

- a PATA 300Go Maxtor 7200RPM as the system drive

- a PATA 320Go Seagate 7200RPM as an additionnal drive

- a Nec DVD drive

With the same machine I had no trouble with the CTP.

Please HELP ME!!!! I'm not a housewife but I'm desperate!

Friday, June 15, 2007 12:52 PM

Answers

• Gib, WHS doesn't use mirroring (RAID 1). Instead it makes multiple copies of individual files and puts them on different drives. You can turn it on and off in the WHS console for individual shares.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:31 PM

All replies

• Your experience sounds similar to the problems I had.  I finally pulled the DVD drive that was used to burn the installation disk and temporarily installed it in the WHS chassis.  The installation proceeded to completion!

Your mileage may vary.

Stephen

Saturday, June 16, 2007 12:32 AM
  • Is your bios up-to-date? Sometimes updating bios will help. You seem to have everything else covered.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=260 

Saturday, June 16, 2007 1:10 AM
  •  Dumbcat wrote:

Help!!

I had my server installed with CTP version, and I was waiting of the RC with high hopes!

I got totally stopped with the RC. I downloaded it, burned it, tried to install it, and it gives me error of reading and using the installation files copied on the hard drive (blue screen after reboot "Installation of Windows 2003 Server Small Buisness". The files in error are never the same ones.

- I redonwload the iso 3 times from 3 different computers

- I burned from 2 different burners

- I burned on differents DVDs

- I burned at max and min speed (4x and 1x)

- I tried two different drives (PATA 300Go Maxtor, PATA 320Go Seagate)

- The hard drive is a Master on the primary IDE channel

I don't know what to do! I installed the last DVD I burned on a virtual PC (using Virtual PC 2007), no problem at all.

My server is composed of :

- a Sempron 2800+

- a MSI mother board K9VGM-V

- 512Mo of DDR2 PC4200

- a PATA 300Go Maxtor 7200RPM as the system drive

- a PATA 320Go Seagate 7200RPM as an additionnal drive

- a Nec DVD drive

With the same machine I had no trouble with the CTP.

Please HELP ME!!!! I'm not a housewife but I'm desperate!

Saturday, June 16, 2007 2:13 AM
  • I keep getting the same problem. I tried DVD+, DVD-, DVDRW+, different burners. 4 out of 5 installs got to - can not copy cbidf2k.sys - then other various files. Tomorrow I am going to try moving one of the DVD drives I used to record and verify the data, into the the target case to see if that will work.

Target server

Dell 2400 newest bios A05

2.8 G P4

1G DDR 2700

PATA 500G Seagate

Sony 170C DVD

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:30 AM
  • I'm having the same problems. Multiple downloads, multiple burns, and multiple failures with various files missing when the installer is trying to setup the server, or blue screens when going through the install, and then it will come back up and say that there is an existing windows folder, do I want to delete the contents or continue or quit. No matter which option I try it always comes back to the same screen.

System is new

Core 2 duo 1.8GB

2 GB ram

Intel DG965WH main board

3 320GB Sata drives

LG DVD Burner

Going to try installing another OS on it to make sure it's not the new system.

Gib

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:48 AM
  •  

Install Update:

Tried installing another O.S., that failed also. I pulled and reinstalled the ram, reset the mainboard bios to safe defaults, turned off raid and proceeded to install. I did get several error messages and reboots when Windows was finallizing the installation but it finally installed and appears to be working correctly.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to turn off and on data mirroring when you have multiple harddrives. Any pointers?

Thanks

gib

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:54 PM
  • FWIW, I had a ton of aborted installs also - all sorts of strange errors & sudden blue-screens.  I finally got around (via 5 DVD burns & 2 DVD drives!) to changing out the RAM and the next attempt worked perfectly.

Now, here's the strange thing:  This exact same hardware had been running as a Linux server fine for 2 months!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:48 PM
  • Gib, WHS doesn't use mirroring (RAID 1). Instead it makes multiple copies of individual files and puts them on different drives. You can turn it on and off in the WHS console for individual shares.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:31 PM
  • It finally worked. I down loaded the server a third time.  I checked the CRC again, then I checked the CRC in different formats against each other ( all 3 down loads) and all looked good. I moved the DVD drive in to my XP machine and burned on the same DVD drive that I would be using to install it (verified the burn on all DVD's). While all of this was going on and taking time, I read through more posts and saw one about memory problems. I had 2 512meg units so I took them out switched and reseated them. When I powered back up I had a memory error. I found out 1 unit was acting up so I installed a spare 256meg unit in its place. The install finally worked.  I am guessing that it was probably a bad memory unit, although burning the DVD on the same drive used to install it might have done it.

Target server

Dell 2400 newest bios A05

2.8 G P4

1G DDR 2700 - now running 768meg

PATA 500G Seagate

Sony 170C DVD
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:40 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Gib, WHS doesn't use mirroring (RAID 1). Instead it makes multiple copies of individual files and puts them on different drives. You can turn it on and off in the WHS console for individual shares.

Cool Ken. That was what I was looking for. I thought it would be a global setting. Now just have to figure out how to do RDP to the server and I can remove the monitor/keyboard/mouse and stick the server in the closet.

gib

Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:00 AM
  • One way to RDP in:
    • Start/Run
    • type MSTSC, hit enter.
    • type the name of your home server
    • When prompted use the WHS Administrator name and password
    You're in. Note: without changing the firewall on WHS and your router, you will only be able to do this from a PC on your local network. I don't recommend changing the firewalls because RDP is subject to a "man in the middle" attack, and in the (admittedly unlikely) event that you were hit by it, you'd be giving away the administrator password.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:55 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    One way to RDP in:
    • Start/Run
    • type MSTSC, hit enter.
    • type the name of your home server
    • When prompted use the WHS Administrator name and password

You're in. Note: without changing the firewall on WHS and your router, you will only be able to do this from a PC on your local network. I don't recommend changing the firewalls because RDP is subject to a "man in the middle" attack, and in the (admittedly unlikely) event that you were hit by it, you'd be giving away the administrator password.

Thanks Ken. Exactly what I was looking for.

gib

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:17 AM