Install onto an older P3 box... RRS feed

• General discussion

• Well, this is my first post on these forums, so I appologize for being a noob here.

I recently had quite the battle to get beta2 installed on an older box I had laying around. I finally got it going and here's what I learned along the way...

Specifics:

- P3 1ghz

- 512 PC133 Ram

- 200gb 7200rmp Maxtor ATA HD

- Asus board with Intel 815 chipset

The out of the box drivers did not detect that the primary hard disk at ID:0 was an ATA compatible drive. I ended up donwloading the latest drivers from Intel, extracting the individual inf's using the command line tool, and loading them off a flash drive at setup. My older box had a Zip 250 sitting in it that I thought I had disconnected. It was the secondary master and had no disk in it while I ran setup the first few times. I later found out that the installer looks not only at the drive installed first, as set by the bios, but also in size. I had to remove the ZIP drive from the machine and then the install ran smoothly.

I also ended up setting a static IP on the server so that I could use port forwarding on my router to try to access the server off site. It would be nice if the install process might cover this as an option to users. I found that my old p3 might not have enough guts to serve up the web interface as it errors out with a page cannot be displayed and kills the backup service and logs-out anyone who is connected locally.

I also tried to view an restore from backup, both would get to about 95% and then fail. I have only played with it for about a week so I am sure there is just something new I don;t know about yet.

So there you have it, another install tale.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:47 PM

All replies

• I too have a P3 setup, but with a lesser known mobo (see below).  Not sure what your specific problem may be with loading the web pages.... I to have a static ip on my Linksys WRT54G and I set up the DDNS with the the dns forwarding site I set up a free forwarding account with. That way I did not have to install a forwarding software on the WHS.

All my machines can log in just fine with decent speed....

Hope this helps.

The Judge

http://www.dyndns.com/

P3 600 mHz , PNY PC100/133 ram 256x2=512, Lite-On DVD/DL/CDR/W drive, Seagate Baracuda 200 gig ATA-133 drive, Mobo-GCT Supertek P3VFA (circa 2000-2001?), New 10/100 D-link Ethernet card, Unknown vid card (old as the mobo), removed sound card and modem to prevent conflicts.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:28 PM
  •  shortfatpat wrote:

I also ended up setting a static IP on the server so that I could use port forwarding on my router to try to access the server off site. It would be nice if the install process might cover this as an option to users. I found that my old p3 might not have enough guts to serve up the web interface as it errors out with a page cannot be displayed and kills the backup service and logs-out anyone who is connected locally.

At first I was not very happy with the concept of a server with a dynamically assigned address, but I went with it since the finished product is intended for your "non-techie" home environment.

I would not make provision for static addressing in the install, since most users won't be installing the product themselves, but either in the "out of box" setup, or as part of a "quickstart" or "setup wizard" routine, perhaps on the WHS Connector CD.

I'm planning to use DHCP reservation for my addressing and port forward to the reserved address for remote access, which I haven't tested yet.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:04 PM
  • I am running mine on a P2 450 with 768 MB ram. It works and functions just fine except when I try and download a folder from off site. The proc is not very efficient at compressing. Other than that it works like a champ.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 7:49 PM