Can I legitimize my non-genuine, running copy of XP SP2 without reinstalling? RRS feed

• Question

• My running copy of XP SP2 is not genuine.  Is it possible to purchase a new copy and "legitimize" my currently running copy without reinstalling?

Thank you,
    wlvw
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:43 PM

Answers

• Hello Wlvw,

Thank you for visiting our WGA Forum today :-). You should be given the option to purchase a "WGA Kit" when you fail Windows XP validation. The cost is offered @ roughly half of the retail cost. Once you purchase the "WGA Kit" you will be emailed a product key and later you will receive the media. You can attempt to change the product key by using our Product Key Changer. You may run into a problem if the pre-existing version is corrupt. In turn the utility may not work. Secondly and more important I would highly recommend you to perform a through re-installation. The reason research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about your system integrity because Windows is non-genuine. Installing and running genuine software can give you a peace of mind. Yes it is a lot of work but is well worth the time and effort. 

Let us know if you have any other questions :-)

Thank you

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:48 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Wlvw,

Thank you for visiting our WGA Forum today :-). You should be given the option to purchase a "WGA Kit" when you fail Windows XP validation. The cost is offered @ roughly half of the retail cost. Once you purchase the "WGA Kit" you will be emailed a product key and later you will receive the media. You can attempt to change the product key by using our Product Key Changer. You may run into a problem if the pre-existing version is corrupt. In turn the utility may not work. Secondly and more important I would highly recommend you to perform a through re-installation. The reason research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about your system integrity because Windows is non-genuine. Installing and running genuine software can give you a peace of mind. Yes it is a lot of work but is well worth the time and effort. 

Let us know if you have any other questions :-)

Thank you

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:48 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Thank you so much for your reply, Stephen.
    It was very helpful.

Bill
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:21 PM
  • Morning Bill :-)

You are more than welcome. Should you need further WGA assistance please come by and visit us again. Have a great weekend.

Stephen
    Friday, May 1, 2009 5:11 PM