MSCRMAsyncService: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Xml.XmlException RRS feed

• Question

• The MSCRMAsyncService keeps starting and stopping every minutes. CRM is running on SBS 2008 and UR7 has been applied. This has been going on for about two weeks.

Host XXXXXX: failed while monitoring asynchronous operations queue. Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: The 'Settings' start tag on line 2 does not match the end tag of 'settings'. Line 26, position 3.

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowTagMismatch(NodeData startTag)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEndElement()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()

at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)

at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)

at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)

at System.Xml.XmlDocument.LoadXml(String xml)

at Sms.Crm4.SendSMS..ctor(String unsecureConfig, String secureConfig)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.EventOperation.InternalExecute(AsyncEvent asyncEvent)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.AsyncOperationCommand.Execute(AsyncEvent asyncEvent)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.QueueManager.PoolHandler.ProcessAsyncEvent(AsyncEvent asyncEvent)

at Microsoft.Crm.Asynchronous.QueueManager.PoolHandler.InvokeHandlerInPool(Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)

Jerry
    Monday, November 16, 2009 8:56 PM

Answers

• It appears you have a corrupt configuration file - I looked to see if I could figure out which one could be causing it, but couldn't see an obvious answer - if republishing doesn't fix it = you may want to 'repair' your crm server installation. 

Do you have any custom workflows? - (workflows with custom steps) - you could try unpublishing those and see if the error clears up, then go back and re-enable the workflows one by one to see if one or more of them needs some work to repair.

HTH

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Scott,

There is one workflow with a custom step which came from an ISV. I have unpublished it. I am thinking that it is the culprit as it seems like this issue raised its ugly head around the time the add-in was installed.

Unfortunately, after unpublishing and doing and iisreset the event error is still occuring as before.

Please clarify 'republishing' it is a term that I normally associate with reports and not a configuration file.

Repairing is no fun as that can create all sorts of issues with accelerators and other isv extensions.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:09 AM
  • Scott,

Update - After thinking through it a little more and deciding to hit it with a bigger hammer I deleted the corresponding plugin. That appears to have done the trick.

We will know in the morning.

Jerry

Jerry
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:35 AM

All replies

• It appears you have a corrupt configuration file - I looked to see if I could figure out which one could be causing it, but couldn't see an obvious answer - if republishing doesn't fix it = you may want to 'repair' your crm server installation. 

Do you have any custom workflows? - (workflows with custom steps) - you could try unpublishing those and see if the error clears up, then go back and re-enable the workflows one by one to see if one or more of them needs some work to repair.

HTH

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Scott,

There is one workflow with a custom step which came from an ISV. I have unpublished it. I am thinking that it is the culprit as it seems like this issue raised its ugly head around the time the add-in was installed.

Unfortunately, after unpublishing and doing and iisreset the event error is still occuring as before.

Please clarify 'republishing' it is a term that I normally associate with reports and not a configuration file.

Repairing is no fun as that can create all sorts of issues with accelerators and other isv extensions.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:09 AM
  • Scott,

Update - After thinking through it a little more and deciding to hit it with a bigger hammer I deleted the corresponding plugin. That appears to have done the trick.

We will know in the morning.

Jerry

Jerry
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Scott,

Looks like that solved the issue - removing the plug-in and unpublishing the workflow rule.

However, at sometime I would really like to figure out what the error message really meant and where/how to fix it.

Thanks.

Jerry
    Jerry
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:39 PM
  • Jerry - the message probably is referring to a configuration file that the plugin is using - or in the configuration of the plugin registration.

There is a at least <SETTING> tag without a matching </SETTING> tag - but that could be a red herring, it could be something else in the configuration such as tags out of order or misspelled. - Have someone with more familiarity with the plugin investigate its configuration and you may find the answer.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:03 PM