incomplete display resolution choices RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Kim,

I have exhausted google and hope the digital goddess can help.  I have windows 10 on my desktop PC.  On <g class="gr_ gr_51 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="51" id="51">Wednesday</g> November 22nd it automatically updated to the latest 64-bit windows 10 build:

Version:  1703
        OS Build: 15063.729

Prior to this <g class="gr_ gr_58 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="58" id="58">update</g> my windows settings allowed my 27" display to use <g class="gr_ gr_59 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="59" id="59">it's</g> native 1920x1080 resolution.  I was happy as anyone can be with windows.

After this <g class="gr_ gr_49 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="49" id="49">update</g> I can find no way to get windows 10 to allow me to use the native resolution, or any other resolution that's the right aspect ratio for my monitor, a ViewSonic VX2703MH-LED that is 16:9.  The only choices I have now are:

1152 x  864
        1280 x 1024
         640 x  480
         800 x  600
        1024 x  768
        1600 x 1200

I tried installing the manufacturers latest display driver.  I tried hacking the registry, I googled for hours.  I tried backing out the update, but my choices were to reinstall windows and lose all my apps and personal <g class="gr_ gr_54 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="54" id="54">files,</g> or to reinstall windows and just lose all my apps.  Neither is a palatable solution.  I've got nothing.

I have an older monitor I'd <g class="gr_ gr_55 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="55" id="55">used as</g> the display for a <g class="gr_ gr_46 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="46" id="46">dvd</g> player.  I put it back on the PC because it came closer to the 4:3 aspect ratio, and if desperate I can even manipulate it to leave dead space to each side of the display to get the actual 4:3 aspect ration.  This is a Samsung SyncMaster T260HD.  <g class="gr_ gr_57 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="57" id="57">It's</g> native resolution is 1920x1200.  I have it pretending to be 1600x1200.

My question to you is, how can I get windows 10 to recognize one of these monitor's native resolutions?  It recognizes the monitors by model number if I install them and reboot, but <g class="gr_ gr_63 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="63" id="63">still</g> I only have the six bogus resolutions it provides, none <g class="gr_ gr_47 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" data-gr-id="47" id="47">if</g> which utilize the capabilities of my monitors.

I'm tempted to blow away windows and install Ubuntu, but I have a lot of windows apps on this computer.  I've had it since 2009 and would hate to have to start over with a new computer or OS.

<g class="gr_ gr_45 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="45" id="45">Help</g> please.

Thanks...Jerry
    Jerry Nowlin
    nowlin@nowlin.com
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:35 PM

Answers