Problems running the install RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I just downloaded the software and followed all directions. My downloaded file checksums match the ones posted by Microsoft. I burned the image of the install disc to a blank Memorex DVD-RW using Roxio's EZ Creator 9. The burn was verified as good.

I have built a PC using an older PC that I do not use anymore. It has a Tyan Tiger 230 mobo with 2 ea. P3's and 768 Mbyte of memory. It has 2 ea. 40 Gbyte Seagate hard drives connected to primary IDE bus, a DVD-RW drive connected to the secondary IDE bus. It has an Addonics PCI/PCI-X Sata Raid adapter with 4 ea. 300 Gbyte Samsung hard drives attached. It has a 3Dforce2-MX-64TV videocard.

On trying to boot everything goes well as the memory,hard drives, sata raid and all are recognized. When the CD tries to boot it first says windows is loading files, then the Windows  Boot Manager comes up with Setup as the only option. I hit return to run Setup and the system crashes.

Anbody know what I might be able to do. The 40 Gbyte hard drives and the Samsung drives are knew. I used this computer for over six years. First I ran Win2K and then upgraded to WinXP. The hard drive failed so that is why I retired it a year ago. When I heard about WHS I decided to try to ressurect it with new hard drives.

Thanks for any help

Doyle
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 6:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I can go a head and suggest like BIOS update (but since I dealt with Tyan since day one, for older motherboard, they suck with update), so it not really an option.

Is that video card a AGP one? can you find another video card, cheaper pci will do.

They are many issue tho for failed boot, did you try if that burn dvd is ok, to try it on another system?

That all I can think of, beside the drivers update, but you did not get that far tho.

My best.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 6:52 PM
  • Hi

The video card is an AGP 4x card that I have used for several years. It has worked like a champ since I installed it years ago.

I have since tried the setup DVD in two of my other desktops. One is a Tyan Thunder 230T based system. That mobo is just a later version of the Tiger 230. I have the latest bios for this board which is 1.10. The DVD will not work in it either. I then tried it in my system which has an ABIT IC7-G mobo. The DVD works great in it. I will not install WHS on it because it is my Vista system.

Does anyone out their have any experience using older Tyan mobo's.  I have version 1.03 bios installed and just downloaded version 1.06 which I will install sometime today. This is the latest bios available for this mobo. Then I will try again.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Doyle
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 10:25 AM
  • I upgraded the bios to the latest available for the Tiger 230. This is an old board and the date on that bios is 2002. The install DVD still does not work. Am I at a point to where I need to think about mobo, cpu, and memory upgrade.

Thanks to all.

Doyle
    Monday, July 9, 2007 5:55 AM
  • My money would be on the RAID adapter as the culprit. Although it won't allow you to complete the install on the 40gb drive (min 75gb?), you might try removing the RAID adapter and see if you can get past the point you are failing on now.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I can go a head and suggest like BIOS update (but since I dealt with Tyan since day one, for older motherboard, they suck with update), so it not really an option.

Is that video card a AGP one? can you find another video card, cheaper pci will do.

They are many issue tho for failed boot, did you try if that burn dvd is ok, to try it on another system?

That all I can think of, beside the drivers update, but you did not get that far tho.

My best.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 6:52 PM
  • Hi

The video card is an AGP 4x card that I have used for several years. It has worked like a champ since I installed it years ago.

I have since tried the setup DVD in two of my other desktops. One is a Tyan Thunder 230T based system. That mobo is just a later version of the Tiger 230. I have the latest bios for this board which is 1.10. The DVD will not work in it either. I then tried it in my system which has an ABIT IC7-G mobo. The DVD works great in it. I will not install WHS on it because it is my Vista system.

Does anyone out their have any experience using older Tyan mobo's.  I have version 1.03 bios installed and just downloaded version 1.06 which I will install sometime today. This is the latest bios available for this mobo. Then I will try again.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Doyle
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 10:25 AM
  • I upgraded the bios to the latest available for the Tiger 230. This is an old board and the date on that bios is 2002. The install DVD still does not work. Am I at a point to where I need to think about mobo, cpu, and memory upgrade.

Thanks to all.

Doyle
    Monday, July 9, 2007 5:55 AM
  • My money would be on the RAID adapter as the culprit. Although it won't allow you to complete the install on the 40gb drive (min 75gb?), you might try removing the RAID adapter and see if you can get past the point you are failing on now.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Well I decided I would not be able to get WHS installed on this machine. So, I went out and bought all new parts and built a new machine. I finished assembling it last night. Now I have a new problem. The Install DVD boots fine and setup starts, but it errs out complaining it could not initialize the subsystem UI. This new macine is built upon n Abit IB9 mobo. The IDE is and ITE IDE interface. The drivers need to be loaded I feel and that is what is causing the problem. Does anyone have any experience with this mobo? I sent a note to Abit support, but probably will not hear anything until monday 16 July. I would appreciate any suggestions. I have built a driver disk (3.5" floppy) and the ITE drivers are on it, but I never get the chance to load them.

Thanks again

Doyle Stroup

P.S. I tried the Install DVD in the Tyan machine, but it still would not boot!
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 11:38 PM
  • Correction to the P.S.
    I tried the Install DVD in the Tyan machine without the RAID card, but it still would not boot!
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:49 AM
  • Hi,

The problem seem for that error, it need bigger hard disk, if you still on that 40gb, then it will not install.

Can you try hard disk like 80gb for the primary OS?

My best.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:02 PM