Can't sign-in to one of my circle computers RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am testing OneCare Beta (2.0.2318.12) and I have an unusual configuration. I have a dual-boot desktop (on seperate internal drives).
    My main OS is XP Home, then I also have a choice to boot to my new Vista Ultimate 64 bit drive.
    I am using these two drives on the same computer as two of my three OneCare computers and my wireless network LapTop as my third OneCare.
    I use the Vista as my Hub and I read somewhere that I can have two hubs. I tried to make XP Home my second hub and I went to sign on and get an error message code with number:
    What does this mean?

Thanks for any help out there.....

Monday, August 20, 2007 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hi, Ben. Sorry you haven't heard back and also for the new problem you seem to be encountering now. I don't know why support didn't respond to you and I also don't know why this post from you from the 10th just now appeared for me today! Seems like the forum was flaking out this weekend.

Anyway, the 8007005 error is unknown to me, but would appear to be a LiveID/network/profile error.

If you are able to log in with that LiveID on other LiveID enabled sites, it would appear that there's either something broken with your installation or something causing issues with the OneCare connection to the servers.

I hate to suggest heading back to support, but that seems like the best alternative at this point. If support doesn't respond to you in a timely manner, please post back and I'll escalate/report it again.

Support for v1.6 is via the information here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:49 PM

All replies

• I have to admit that I don't know what this error means. if it persists, I'd suggest contacting support. Use the Get More Help link here: http://help.live.com/help.aspx?mkt=en-us&project=onecarev2

-steve

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:19 AM
  • Well Steve I took your route with support and that certainly was disappointing. We dilly dallied around for a month and then they said they would move it up a notch away from the "hotline" folks and never heard from anyone again. That was almost a month ago. So the last guy probably closed my call because he moved it somewhere else.

I had re-installed OneCare on the problem computer with no change in symptom. Right now I'm using both my Laptop and Vista as hubs and still can't sign in to XP Home (error 80048884).

Friday, November 2, 2007 6:44 PM
  • I'll see if I can someone to look at this thread. Do you happen to have a support case number?

-steve

Saturday, November 3, 2007 2:31 AM
  • SRX1048248287

Thanks Steve

Saturday, November 3, 2007 4:07 AM
  • Thanks for the case number, I've reported it.

-steve

Sunday, November 4, 2007 6:48 PM
  • Steve,

Just an update to my problem.

I removed the beta and went back to my production application (2.0.2318.12). I wanted to go back to that because I wanted to upgrade my XP Home drive to Vista Ultimate 32bit. I didn't want to take a chance on additional problems.

After days doing that :-( I still have a similar problem.

The program works but I still can't activate/sign-in. I get an error code of 80070005.

I still have almost 3 mos on the free trial left. I still never heard back from Microsoft on the 80048884 or 69 problem.

Thanks for what you do to help us all the time, it's appreciated....

Ben

Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:17 AM
  • Hi, Ben. Sorry you haven't heard back and also for the new problem you seem to be encountering now. I don't know why support didn't respond to you and I also don't know why this post from you from the 10th just now appeared for me today! Seems like the forum was flaking out this weekend.

Anyway, the 8007005 error is unknown to me, but would appear to be a LiveID/network/profile error.

If you are able to log in with that LiveID on other LiveID enabled sites, it would appear that there's either something broken with your installation or something causing issues with the OneCare connection to the servers.

I hate to suggest heading back to support, but that seems like the best alternative at this point. If support doesn't respond to you in a timely manner, please post back and I'll escalate/report it again.

Support for v1.6 is via the information here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Just a follow-up if anyone is reading this thread. I still can't sign on to one of my circle pc's. The passport sign-on works fine on 2 other circle pc's and other MS stuff like Live Mail. The error code is 80070005. I did as suggested by a number of people and created another Desktop User Sign-on and then tried to sign in to OneCare and that does work.

Seems silly that MS can't fix this. Support has not been helpful. Removing the computer from the circle than reinstalling OneCare didn't help. Even updating from XP Home to Vista Utimate 32bit gave me a similar problem!

Gotta be on their end or perhaps in my registry.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:59 PM
  •  Igneous wrote:

Just a follow-up if anyone is reading this thread. I still can't sign on to one of my circle pc's. The passport sign-on works fine on 2 other circle pc's and other MS stuff like Hotmail. The error code is 80070005. I did as suggested by a number of people and created another Desktop User Sign-on and then tried to sign in to OneCare and that does work.

Seems silly that MS can't fix this. Support has not been helpful. Removing the computer from the circle than reinstalling OneCare didn't help. Even updating from XP Home to Vista Utimate 32bit gave me a similar problem!

Gotta be on their end.

Ben, if support has not been able to resolve this, please ask support to escalate the problem. There would seem to be a problem on that PC for the LiveID. Apparently, the new local User Profile doesn't resolve it as the OneCare subscription settings or data used for that LiveID are stored at the system level, perhaps in the registry or within the OneCare program file locations.

-steve

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:00 PM
  •  

Hi Steve,

First off my suggestion to escalate the problem was not acted upon by the regular support desk. I've just learned to live with it since I was able to get into the program by having created the new desktop user logon ID as everyone has suggested.

Second, I need to clarify I didn't upgrade from XP Home to Vista, I did a clean install. So, it would seem the registry for local user and LiveID Sign-on should be ok on my end, although that was an excellent thought on your part.

I was hoping this would get resolved by software update but I see now that I have 2.0.2500.22  I still have the same old OneCare sign-in problem with the error code 80070005.

Thanks for your continuing help and interest.

Ben

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:56 PM
  • I'll see what I can find out on this ongoing error, Ben.

Some questions - this is still a dual boot machine, yes? And OneCare is activated on the other OS or on another PC?

-steve

Friday, February 1, 2008 6:21 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

I'll see what I can find out on this ongoing error, Ben.

Some questions - this is still a dual boot machine, yes? And OneCare is activated on the other OS or on another PC?

-steve

Steve,  I've exactly the same problem with my Onecare for months. Please let me know once you find a solution from OneCare team.. Thanks.
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:57 PM
  • Hey Steve,

Yes I still have a multi-boot system on my main desktop (2 separate hard drives). I have as my default boot dr Vista Ultimate 32, and as my alternate boot Vista Ultimate 64. My third pc in the circle is my laptop with XP Pro. All 3 PC's at the moment are Hub PC's, although I've tried them all as Hubs one at-a-time to see if it made any difference. It doesn't.  My Vista32 is the only one with the sign-on problem. That is the one I also did the clean install on from XP Home to Vista32.

Originally I had tried an upgrade but had problems with file transfer problems. I did get permission from MS to do a full install after the upgrade problems.

Ben

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:36 AM
  • I sent a request in to have someone look at this thread, Ben.

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:30 PM
  • I have the same issue using a 32-bit version of Windows Vista Ultimate.

It happens when trying to connect using Windows Live Favorites in Internet Explorer.  I get the 80070005 error.  All the rest seems to work...

I found a thread (in French, sorry!) that explained someting about unregistering DLLs and re-registering them after a reboot...  But I'm hesitating...  Can someone (preferably from Microsoft Support - OR a technical guru) confirm that this could be done?

I just re-installed (clean from yesterday) this PC and (you have to feel for me), I had to go through the Windows AnyTime Upgrade process...

THANKS!

P.S. : Here's the "English translation"...  ;-)

Command Prompt (as Administrator)

regsvr32 /u softpub.dll

regsvr32 /u wintrust.dll

regsvr32 /u initpki.dll

regsvr32 /u dssenh.dll

regsvr32 /u rsaenh.dll

regsvr32 /u gpkcsp.dll

regsvr32 /u sccbase.dll

regsvr32 /u slbcsp.dll

regsvr32 /u mssip32.dll

regsvr32 /u cryptdlg.dll

exit

REBOOT

Command Prompt (as Administrator)

regsvr32 softpub.dll

regsvr32 wintrust.dll

regsvr32 initpki.dll

regsvr32 dssenh.dll

regsvr32 rsaenh.dll

regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll

regsvr32 sccbase.dll

regsvr32 slbcsp.dll

regsvr32 mssip32.dll

regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

exit

REBOOT

« Should work… »

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:58 AM
  • Hi, Mario. I don't think it will hurt to unregister and register those DLL's as listed and it may be worth a try.

If you are having this problem specifically for Windows Live Favorites, though, you may want to open a support case with them and see what their stance on this solution is: https://support.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlfavorites

-steve

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Hello all,

Just wondered if the previous helped Mario...it didn't help me. I still have the same error problem on my Vista PC (not on my 2 XP PC's) unless I sign in as a different user, the current advertised work-around.

Ben

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:45 PM
  • I don't know, Ben. Hopefully Mario will respond. I see, though, that I never got an update from my request to have your support case investigated. What ever happened with your support case? Did someone contact you back in February?

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:16 PM
  • Hello Steve,

The last time I heard from support they told me they were going up a level with my problem and then I never heard from them again. That was months ago. I must add that creating another User Profile as I have stated is a work-around that is a good temporary band-aid but that doing that also was the fix for a Live Mail sign-on problem I had.  So apparently my current User Profile is corrupt and is the reason for both my problems. I just asked the the LiveMail support people how I can move all of my info to the newly created User Profile and than delete my corruped Profile. If anyone knows that on this Forum, I'm all ears....

Thanks,

Ben

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:30 PM
  • I'm sorry to hear that support seems to have dropped the ball, Ben.

Perhaps this KB article will help you transfer the data from the corrupt profile to the new profile you created:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/811151

-steve

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:24 AM
  • Steve,

That's for XP, I have Vista but I did find the following and will try it for both problems I have. I'll let you know what happens:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/769495bf-035c-4764-a538-c9b05c22001e1033.mspx

Thanks,

Ben

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:36 AM
  • Ah, I scrolled back through the thread and thought that the problem on your dual-boot machine was on the XP side for the error. I think that the article still applies pretty much the same. The concepts remain the same. With admin privilege, you can copy from one profile to another, as long as you are not logged into either profile.

-steve

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:43 AM
  • Steve,

Going through the corrupt User Profile procedure for Vista as mentioned in my last post did not change my OneCare sign-on problem or my LiveMail problem so I deleted the newer User Profile I had just created. However....

Within the other User Profile that I created some time back to temporarily fix the OneCare sign-on problem also runs my LiveMail application just fine once I enabled it.    So....

My 2 problems are both within my "original" corrupt User Profile. I will now use the OneCare fix User Profile as my main profile and slowly build it back up (file,folder and application-wise) so that eventually I can delete the original corrupt profile.

Does that all make sense?

Ben

Friday, May 23, 2008 2:08 PM
  • I think that makes sense. The link I provided to you for a corrupt profile in XP describes how to move all of the data from a corrupt profile to a newly created profile. It should allow you to bring just about everything over to the new profile so you can delete the old one at will. Of course, leaving the old one in place and not using it causes no harm, it just means some disk space is being used.

-steve

Friday, May 23, 2008 2:40 PM
  • I thought my reply might be confusing! I DID the stated procedure and it didn't help, my same 2 problems continued.

I created another new clean profile and am building it myself rather than transferring everything they say. In the new profile both my problems are gone.

The problems with the old original User Profile must be in the Identities or AppData, or Registry somewhere like that.

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:25 PM
  • Ah, thanks! Much better now. :-) I understand!

-steve

Friday, May 23, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Hi everyone,

SORRY for the late reply...  Got too many e-Mails @ work!  ;-)

Actually it did help me...  But within the same "uptime".  As soon as I rebooted my PC, it failed again.

Therefore, I chose to restart my installation process - and now, it works!!

(I still keep my fingers crossed...)

I hope you won't have to do this...

Mario
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 12:18 AM