Uninstalled, then Re-Installed OneCare - Make OneCare Recognize Previous Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello and thank you for any assistance/guidance that you can provide.  I have been using OneCare for several months with satisfaction.  I run Windows XP.  I recently contacted Windows XP support and was told that I should uninstall OneCare and then Re-Install it.  I have done so.

I had used OneCare to regularly backup my system and have it backed up to a location on an external hard drive.  However, since I have reinstalled OneCare and select "Backup", a message pops up explaining that there is insufficient space on the external hard drive.  Well, this is true because most of my external hard drive is taken up by the 'previous' OneCare backup.

Do I really have to delete the previous backup folder?  If so, how would I be able to restore my files should my computer fail and I need to get them on a different device or with a different OneCare?  Can I do something to OneCare settings so that it recognizes a huge amount of data that was created with OneCare only a few days ago?

It seems to me (and I am only an average computer user) that when I reinstalled OneCare, the program should recognize the 'old' OneCare backup folder and its contents.  Otherwise, like I said, if I needed to reformat my computer and wanted to restore files using a newly installed OneCare, how would this be possible since you need to use OneCare's restore dialog to restore anything.

Thank you so much for any help that you can provide.  Please let me know if additional information would be helpful.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 7:06 PM

Answers

• I wish that I could provide better news to you. No, OneCare cannot continue to use the old backup. Once you have reinstalled OneCare or reset the database, it can't add to the older backup set and a new one must be started. That may mean that you need to delete the old backup to make room for the new. The old backups can still be read for a restore, but just cannot be continued.

-steve

Monday, November 24, 2008 7:24 PM

All replies

• I wish that I could provide better news to you. No, OneCare cannot continue to use the old backup. Once you have reinstalled OneCare or reset the database, it can't add to the older backup set and a new one must be started. That may mean that you need to delete the old backup to make room for the new. The old backups can still be read for a restore, but just cannot be continued.

-steve

Monday, November 24, 2008 7:24 PM
  • Thank you for answering this question.  I appreciate you taking the time to help me figure this out.

Monday, December 15, 2008 3:14 PM
  • I agree with Jason.  I was forced into un-installing my existing OneCare when I went thru the install process for Equipt.  To my surprise, when the OneCare that installed as part of Equipt wanted me to backup my system, it started from scratch.  Like Jason, I have a backup for my one system on an external harddrive, but have the backup's for my other system on DVD's.  Being a CYA person, I am VERY reluctant to delete the backup's on the external harddrive.   I also don't like the idea of having to use 6 more DVD's to start over on my laptop.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 3:53 PM
  • I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer. Basically, OneCare has no facility to continue an existing backup. After a reinstall, which is what you had to do because Equipt would not install unless your existing OneCare install was removed, the old backup set is no longer valid for incremental backups and you are starting fresh.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, December 22, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Can someone confirm that this is also true for the Online Photo Backup?  

I just suffered a hardware failure and was forced to reinstall Onecare.  (By the way, restore from my local Onecare backup worked great).  Now it seems as though I have to push the entire photo dataset back online.  I really want to avoid this - 35 Gig of data over a DSL uplink takes weeks. 
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:48 PM