none
Using Backup and Restore instead of the WHS Backup CD? RRS feed

• Question

• Can't one just use the "Backup and Restore" applet in the control panel of Windows 7 to restore a saved image of their computer instead of fooling around with the WHS PC restore CD? 

I have a Realtek NIC and have spent a couple hours mangling my mind with the special instructions in the FAQ to do a bare metal restore with a Realtek NIC and my server is still not being found.  Yes, I know about the 64-bit driver issue and how to use a USB stick properly.  Doesn't matter.

Shouldn't I just be able to run Backup and Restore from my Windows 7 computer, select my WHS on the network and then choose which image I want to back up from?  So, where are the backup images stored on WHS?  I want to throw that restore CD in the trash can and do things logically.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:55 AM

Answers

• You can't use Win 7 backup and Restore for restoring WHS backup.

Make sure you have the correct (Windows XP or server 2003) driver. Alternatively you could try latest version of the "x-files client restore cd", this one has a lot better driver support then the original WHS restore CD.

Another option is take the hdd from the Win7 computer, mount in another client computer (or connect with USB to SATA connector, then start the restore process from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe. Make sure you restore to the correct hdd!

Once you finished restore of Win7 system you may sometimes find the system will not boot. To fix you should boot into recovery mode from Win7 installation media. If you don't have Win7 media you can download Win 7 recovery disks frm Neosmart.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    • Marked as answer by Mo_000 Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:14 PM

All replies

• You can't use Win 7 backup and Restore for restoring WHS backup.

Make sure you have the correct (Windows XP or server 2003) driver. Alternatively you could try latest version of the "x-files client restore cd", this one has a lot better driver support then the original WHS restore CD.

Another option is take the hdd from the Win7 computer, mount in another client computer (or connect with USB to SATA connector, then start the restore process from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe. Make sure you restore to the correct hdd!

Once you finished restore of Win7 system you may sometimes find the system will not boot. To fix you should boot into recovery mode from Win7 installation media. If you don't have Win7 media you can download Win 7 recovery disks frm Neosmart.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    • Marked as answer by Mo_000 Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Can't one just use the "Backup and Restore" applet in the control panel of Windows 7 to restore a saved image of their computer instead of fooling around with the WHS PC restore CD? 

I have a Realtek NIC and have spent a couple hours mangling my mind with the special instructions in the FAQ to do a bare metal restore with a Realtek NIC and my server is still not being found.  Yes, I know about the 64-bit driver issue and how to use a USB stick properly.  Doesn't matter.

Shouldn't I just be able to run Backup and Restore from my Windows 7 computer, select my WHS on the network and then choose which image I want to back up from?  So, where are the backup images stored on WHS?  I want to throw that restore CD in the trash can and do things logically.

You can use Backup & Restore but not with a WHS image. That also implies you have a bootable system - the advantage of a restore CD is that the client does not need to be bootable.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.  I kind of thought the two were incompatible and after re-reading my post, I could tell I was pretty frustrated that night.  Anyways, it's a shame Win7 Backup and Restore isn't compatible with WHS.  They are both Microsoft and logically should be using the same code base at least for backward compatibility so users like myself wouldn't get so frustrated.  But, being a developer myself, I know how different teams in the same organization often times operate independently and don't account for backward compatibility with others due to resource constraints.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Philip, you're right.  I installed some software that I suspect to be causing my video card to randomly cause the screen to go blank.  I wanted to do a full restore to see if it was actually a problem with the software or if my video card was dying.  No such luck, too complicated.  I just threw money at a new video card and am now looking into other backup/recovery options.  Maybe I'll just set up a Win7 Backup and Recovery task to put an image on the WHS server every night.  It sucks, but it makes me feel a little more cozy.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:46 PM