none
XP will not shut down after doing a Windows update "cumulative" and "security" NO DRIVERS OR HARDWARE CHANGED

Question

• Hello ,

First I will start by saying that this is the second time I have encountered this problem. About 6 months ago I did a Windows Update and it installed a Security and Cumulative (cant remember) Update. Immediately following these updates my computer would no longer shut down, it just kept returning to the XP desktop. The only way I could turn it off was to shut it down and when it turned off for a brief second I had to turn it off at the power supply. Anyways about a month later when the new Security and Cumulative updates installed it fixed the problem.

Which brings me to my current "wont turn off" problem. I waited a month for the new updates hoping it would fix the problem and it did not, so here I am.
    Although I must mention that when the original updates installed (current problem) they would install and then restart the computer to finish and then they would show up again and again in available updates. In my update history it shows the update installed multiple times all successful mind you.
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB974571 October 14 multiple times successfully installed. and all others updates available at that time.
    If you have heard of this or have any ideas please let me know.
    I have already tried system restore, individually uninstalled the updates in question, system restore to weeks before the problem all with no fixing of the problem, Even uninstalled IE8 (as the update was for IE8) that also did not work. I have tried everything I can think of short of formatting my computer. Which infact I did a few months ago due to a virus or ad aware issue with Defender. Let me know what you might have. Thank you very much
    Friday, December 04, 2009 5:51 PM