Netgear WN121T driver for 2003/WHS? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have bouthg the Netgear WN121t with the intention of having faster transfer speeds however Netgear don't list support for 2003.

Does anyone have an idea as to how to get WHS to install this is a Windows 2000 driver?

The adapter installs with the Microsoft drivers but only delivers minimal transfer rates.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 9:51 PM

All replies

• As the Netgear site, says, it's for your desktop or notebook. Certainly not a Server.

There are far too many hiccups with wireless to be acceptable on a server and Microsoft say it's not to be used. That's not to say you can't or shouldn't, but it does mean that when things go wrong, and they will, Microsoft won't offer any support.

Colin 

Friday, October 5, 2007 5:34 PM
  • Completely agree it's not the most reliable option, however it's less fuss than a gigabit router.

I used wired lan as a backup, but I still require the higher transfer speeds of draft n.

Any suggestions as to how to get this working?

Saturday, October 6, 2007 10:40 AM
  • Joe, you may be able to use the XP drivers. You might have to hack the .inf file to get it to install; I'm sorry but I can't help you with that. However, it's possible that you just will not be able to get it to work properly in your server, no matter what you dao. And as another poster has pointed out, connecting a WHS to your home network through a wireless connection is an unsupported scenario.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 4:46 PM
  • The setup file is an all-in-one job so can't really get at the inf file.

There is a Marvell driver that comes through when using Windows Update. Apparently the adapter uses their TOPDOG chipset. However I can't find this on it's own.

POssibly if I got hold of that driver then I could mess around with it.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:24 AM
  • I just got the same adapter, and ran into the same problem.

I have an XP machine, so I installed it there.  It created a C:\windows\inf\WN121T directory that contained the driver files.  I just copied them to the WHS box, and the driver installation went fine.

Mash

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 6:46 PM
  •  

Thanks Mashman. i run into this issue and your suggestion really helped out.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:09 AM
  • I eventually went for hard wired gigabit after picking up a D-Link green router for aroung £25. I would recommend this to anyone, the network performance is awesome.

Monday, April 28, 2008 1:33 PM