MS Money 2000 Deluxe Situation RRS feed

• Question

• I've posted in several somewhat similiar threads but I thought to start one about my issue. Just purchased a new PC with W7 Pro so I could use the XP Mode, my old PC was on XP Home. I reinstalled MS Money 2000 Deluxe in the XP Mode since as expected, I won't under W7. My old .mny files won't load because the version updated since the original install. I won't update and I can't register it, so I'm stuck! I was thinking of picking up a copy of MS Money 2005 as it "might" possibly load my V9 .mny files. Another option might be to get MS Money Plus, install that and then the MS Money Sunset. This all depends on what will load my .mny files. Do I have any other options or any options at all because of the age of MS Money 2000 Deluxe?
    Bill
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:37 PM

All replies

• I am unclear as to what is not working. If your files were really from your version of Money 2000, Money 2000 should be able to open your files. If you upgraded to a later version and forgot, then you would need a version at least as new. If you really do have version 9, that is Money 2001. Money 2000 will not open files from Money 2009.

Your options can vary. Are you in the US?

Anyway, regardless of country, I think you can install your Money 2000 onto W7 without using virtual XP. I would copy the entire CD to a folder, and run setup from that folder.

If you are in the US, you might consider upgrading to Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. Even if you choose to stick with 2000 for a while, there are a couple files you should download and store before the end of January to keep your options open. Are you in the US? If in Canada, Money 2000 may be as good as any option. In the US, keeping Money 2000 is good too.

You can also consider using MoneySense scripts with Money 2000 Deluxe, regardless of your country if you want to get some quotes and/or OFX statements.

Getting Money 2005 is an option I would avoid.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 11:11 PM
  • YES, I'm in the US.  Gosh, you caught my mistake, it is indeed MS Money 2001 on my old PC.  I ran across MS Money 1999 also in my search for other missing CDs and set MS Money 2000 aside thinking that was the latest!  There must be 2001 someplace, so the hunt is on.  I could have avoided wasting lots of time.

MS Money 2000 kind-of hung up on the install in W7, so I killed the install and went to the XP Mode.  I don't need the quotes.  I have downloaded the Money Plus Deluxe Sunset already.

I found the 2001 CD, copied it to the HD, installed it, loaded my .mny file but when I tried to look at the account list, MS Money stopped responding!  I'll try it in the XP Mode later.  Thanks for clearing my brain fart!!

Bill
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Follow the steps in either of these: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us convert 2002 up....
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108/en-us
    convert Money 99 or Money 98 data files'

The descriptions do not match Money 2001, but either should work for you. I would not set the date to the last day of the year, but maybe a couple months before the end of the respective year. That gives you time in case something unexpected comes up and you need to  continue later.

Note that when you launch things like this, it won't hurt to right-click the install icon, and choose RunAsAdministrator.  This will overcome any permissions and ownership problems.

If launching from a command line, you can start the command (DOS) window that way.

Your data files should *not* be within ProgramFiles. Documents folder is a good place.

Once in your Money file for real, visit Tools->Settings->BackupOptions and set the backup locatons to places that exist on the new machine. Browse insures that places exist.

Friday, November 26, 2010 2:52 AM
  • Follow the steps in either of these: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us convert 2002 up....

The descriptions do not match Money 2001, but either should work for you. I would not set the date to the last day of the year, but maybe a couple months before the end of the respective year. That gives you time in case something unexpected comes up and you need to  continue later.

Note that when you launch things like this, it won't hurt to right-click the install icon, and choose RunAsAdministrator.  This will overcome any permissions and ownership problems.

If launching from a command line, you can start the command (DOS) window that way.

Your data files should *not* be within ProgramFiles. Documents folder is a good place.

Once in your Money file for real, visit Tools->Settings->BackupOptions and set the backup locatons to places that exist on the new machine. Browse insures that places exist.

Thanks for links but I tried something different.  I was able to install MS Money 2001 in XP Mode and load my old .mny file.  I had uninstalled it from W7 because it wouldn't run.  I reinstall it, closed it and installed that Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.  Opened it and tried to load my old .mny file.  At first I thought that it wasn't doing anything and than it said that it was converting the file and just finished.  Pressed ENTER and all my data was there!  The only strange thing is that the backup file path was a folder that exsisted only in XP Mode.

Where does Money Plus Deluxe Sunset store its data file at?  Unlike MS Money 2001 which stored its data file in the My Documents folder.  The Backup file is a compressed file now.

Bill
    Friday, November 26, 2010 4:39 AM

Where does Money Plus Deluxe Sunset store its data file at?  Unlike MS Money 2001 which stored its data file in the My Documents folder.  The Backup file is a compressed file now.

Bill

Money normally stores the Money file (the data) in the same folder that was used previously. One way to make Money start using a different folder is to move the file to a folder. Then open Money by double-clicking that file in Windows Explorer. Money will remember the location thereafter.

The Documents(W7) /MyDocuments (XP) folder would be where I would expecdt Money would create a new file when first installed.

For the backup files, the Money *.mny  file contains the locations, so you want to revise the locations when you change computers. Also, whether the backup files are compressed or not is a setting.

Money Plus by default will keep 4 upon-exit and 4 scheduled backups.You can change the number. That is a really good improvement over the pre-2006 versons.

Friday, November 26, 2010 5:21 AM

Bill

Money normally stores the Money file (the data) in the same folder that was used previously. One way to make Money start using a different folder is to move the file to a folder. Then open Money by double-clicking that file in Windows Explorer. Money will remember the location thereafter.

The Documents(W7) /MyDocuments (XP) folder would be where I would expecdt Money would create a new file when first installed.

For the backup files, the Money *.mny  file contains the locations, so you want to revise the locations when you change computers. Also, whether the backup files are compressed or not is a setting.

Money Plus by default will keep 4 upon-exit and 4 scheduled backups.You can change the number. That is a really good improvement over the pre-2006 versons.

The reason I asked about the data location is because I can't find a currently used .mny file on my PC.

Ah!  I see now, since my data didn't load this time.  I loaded my old .mny file from a flash drive and that's where it was storing it.

Bill

Friday, November 26, 2010 1:41 PM
  • I have MS Money 2000 Deluxe V 8.0  installed in my old Laptop running Win XP.  I also had it on my other Laptop working very well with Vista but had to reload my System due to problems... I somehow lost my installation CD. 

Please, would mind sending me the Link to reinstall MS Money 2000 Deluxe V 8.0 on Vista ?

Thank you in advance...

Carl

Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Doubt if you'll find that anywhere!  You can download MS Money Plus Deluxe Sunset from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=60302e1e-207e-4710-ac80-d19c22e47488&displaylang=en but you'll need the an old version installed first.
    Bill
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Try Ebay for a secondhand Money 2000 installation disk. Just make sure it is for the same region that made your *.mny data file.
    Monday, April 29, 2013 8:42 PM