none
Reinstalling WHS software RRS feed

• Question

• Please be advised that this thread is related with this one: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/303a90ef-17fa-4dfd-9543-16bcae068302 Please see the last post.

Since CHKDSK found inconsistencies on 2 drives, the system drive and 1 drive in the pool, I now need a solution to take me out of this. The system drive is not really my first concern since I can proceed with a new install.

My main concern is with the drive in the pool that has inconsistencies as well. If I remove the drive, it will move the data over another drive. Will it move the inconsistencies as well? If so, that means I'm stuck in a loop. Then what would be the best solution without losing any data?

Thank you,

Klode

Monday, March 9, 2009 4:27 AM

Answers

• Before you proceed you should try to pin down the source of the inconsistencies. A problem with a single drive is likely to be a drive issue, but in your case you have problems with more than one drive. That could be caused by any number of things related to the storage subsystem, such as a failing disk controller, bad cables/connectors, power problems, buggy drivers, etc. If you reinstall using the same component in the new configuration, you're likely to have the same problem occur again.

Generally, the best way to recover your data when you have unidentified errors coming from the storage subsystem is to remove the drives from your server and recover the files from the individual drives. See this post in the FAQ section for more information.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 9, 2009 12:01 PM

All replies

• Before you proceed you should try to pin down the source of the inconsistencies. A problem with a single drive is likely to be a drive issue, but in your case you have problems with more than one drive. That could be caused by any number of things related to the storage subsystem, such as a failing disk controller, bad cables/connectors, power problems, buggy drivers, etc. If you reinstall using the same component in the new configuration, you're likely to have the same problem occur again.

Generally, the best way to recover your data when you have unidentified errors coming from the storage subsystem is to remove the drives from your server and recover the files from the individual drives. See this post in the FAQ section for more information.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 9, 2009 12:01 PM
  • Thank you Ken for your advises, they are well appreciated and valuable. Everybody here and elsewhere believe into a hardware failure.

Looking into the server case, I have found a worn SATA cable with wires showing at one end. It might be the culprit. I changed the cable.

I'm now proceeding with reinstall of the server.

I will let it go and see how it turns out. It's now installing the updates.

I have read the post you pointed in the FAQ section. As soon WHS is reinstalled, I will do some testing and if the errors are still there, then I will proceed as described is the FAQ.

I remember the data drive having errors on it had backups on it as well. So, this might be the reason why the sys drive, D drive and DATA drive showed errors while actually errors were only on one drive but repeated to others drives because of the bad SATA cable.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for your help, very appreciated,

Klode
    Monday, March 9, 2009 2:41 PM