Outdated router supported list? RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed LiveOneCare last week and I wanted to install a newly purchased Linksys WRT160Nv2 Wireless-N Broadband Router and found it is not on the list of supported routers. Is the list outdated. The early model Linksys WRT150N is listed.

Does LIveOneCare support my new WRT160Nv2 router???

I had contacted WOC Tech support on the question and he said he could not answer it, however, he said he would pass my request above on to Product Dev, I have not heard from them.

The Tech, person whom I discussed my above concern with contacted me again tonight and has been very helpful with my installation, however, he could not answer the router question, as the answer needed would have to come from the prople who update the supported router list.

Can you provide me the answer? 

bucko36

Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:01 AM

Answers

• Hello bucko36, Happy Thanksgiving to you too. While a router does offer some protection I don't recommend turning off the One Care firewall. The One Care firewall will greatly improve your protection over a router alone. If you do turn off the One Care firewall all other One Care functions will work as before but your One Care icon will turn red and you will receive warning messages to turn it back on.

I've not personally run into the "incompatible router" issue but I believe the only incompatibility issue is that One Care is not able to automatically configure the wireless security. This Linksys page walks you through configuring the wireless security on your router - http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3967&lid=7787035397B05

Friday, November 28, 2008 4:28 AM

All replies

• Hello bucko36, I don't know the answer to your router support question but you can configure your security manually. It is usually simple to set up and the procedure should be outlined in your router documentation.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:45 PM
  • Hi JimR1

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for you holiday response.

I went down to a local computer tech shop yesturday and one of the Techs there thought the same thing that you have suggested, but also suggested turning off the Windows LiveOneCare "firewall" and just using the "router firewall", Will the "antiviris and Spybot" funtions of LOC still work if you turn off the the firewall or does it also turn off "those protections in LiveOneCare". Your idea's on that suggestion "PLEASE". I'm not a real savvy tech Geek on computers and need all the help I can get. Waiting to hear your thoughts.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Hello bucko36, Happy Thanksgiving to you too. While a router does offer some protection I don't recommend turning off the One Care firewall. The One Care firewall will greatly improve your protection over a router alone. If you do turn off the One Care firewall all other One Care functions will work as before but your One Care icon will turn red and you will receive warning messages to turn it back on.

I've not personally run into the "incompatible router" issue but I believe the only incompatibility issue is that One Care is not able to automatically configure the wireless security. This Linksys page walks you through configuring the wireless security on your router - http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3967&lid=7787035397B05

Friday, November 28, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Thanks for your excellent support JimR1

Have a great day!

bucko36

Friday, November 28, 2008 5:19 AM
  • JimR1, Thanks for your excellent and rapid support.

bucko36

Friday, November 28, 2008 5:21 AM