Quick Pre-Sales Y/N questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Newbie questions before I did into WHS more.  I know all these questions have probably been answered within the forum but if an experienced user could just give me a quick Yes/No to the following I'll know if I should continue looking at WHS.

Thanks in advance.

Sasha

Q: Can I connect a USB drive and NOT have it be contained within the large pool but rather use it as a mapped drive?

Q: The HP MediaSmart Server ex475 seems underpowered with half a gig of ram and only a 1.8 GHZ processor.  Is it?

Q: Can HP custom build a computer?  More ram and dual core chip?  (just want to be sure the machine is scalable) 

Q: Is the box very quiet even with 4 SATA drives?

Q: Can the entire WHS be backed up to external USB drive(s)?

Q: Can you tell it not to backup a particular computer on the network?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 11:08 PM

Answers

•  Sasha Froyland wrote:

Hello,

Newbie questions before I did into WHS more.  I know all these questions have probably been answered within the forum but if an experienced user could just give me a quick Yes/No to the following I'll know if I should continue looking at WHS.

Thanks in advance.

Sasha

Q: Can I connect a USB drive and NOT have it be contained within the large pool but rather use it as a mapped drive?

Yes, you can. You will just have to share the drive manually.

Q: The HP MediaSmart Server ex475 seems underpowered with half a gig of ram and only a 1.8 GHZ processor.  Is it?

No, the HP EX470/5 is not underpowered.

Q: Can HP custom build a computer?  More ram and dual core chip?  (just want to be sure the machine is scalable) 

No, you can not order a custom HP server. The chip that is in the HP currently is a 64 bit chip for future WHS upgrades

Yep. I have mine sitting in my living room, and it's very quiet. The only noise I ever hear is the disk arm moving when backups or balancing are occuring.

Not yet. Microsoft is working on a solution to do so. No ETA on availability.

Yep. All you have to do either not install the Connector, or install the Connector and through the console turn off backup for that machine.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 11:21 PM

All replies

•  Sasha Froyland wrote:

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Sasha

Yes, you can. You will just have to share the drive manually.

No, the HP EX470/5 is not underpowered.

No, you can not order a custom HP server. The chip that is in the HP currently is a 64 bit chip for future WHS upgrades

Yep. I have mine sitting in my living room, and it's very quiet. The only noise I ever hear is the disk arm moving when backups or balancing are occuring.

Not yet. Microsoft is working on a solution to do so. No ETA on availability.

Yep. All you have to do either not install the Connector, or install the Connector and through the console turn off backup for that machine.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 11:21 PM
  • Thanks Tom,

I'm all in.  Will order tonight from Buy.com the 1TB version for $709.99.

I'm looking forward to dumping allot of digital data into this box.  I hope that there are some cool mechanism to altert or safe guard when data integrity may be failing, but I look forward to digging deep into this forum for the workarounds.

Cheers,

Sasha

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:46 AM
  • There are mechanisms that alert you when the health of shared folders is failing, or when a physical hard drive is failing, and it will give you information about how to fix the health of your Home Server.

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:53 AM
  • Hey Tom, would you buy or build?  It's nice the HP box comes prebuilt and simple but...wouldn't it be nice to have a dual core and a gig or two of ram?  Or mabye liquid cools so even quieter.

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:01 AM
  • I've done both. My current production server is a HP MediaSmart Server EX475, and I love the HP feature set. I think if you are more the enthusiast type, go for it and build your own server. But if you just want the darn thing to always work, and not have to really mess with it, go for an pre-built box.

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:23 AM
  • Thanks Tom.  "Always work" is the key.  Yes, I'll go with the pre-built box.

Are you by chance streaming video to any LCD HDTVs?  Like the HP 47" 1080P?

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/366142-0-0-225-121.html

Looks very cool.

Cheers,

Sasha

Monday, November 26, 2007 11:47 AM
  •  Sasha Froyland wrote:

Thanks Tom.  "Always work" is the key.  Yes, I'll go with the pre-built box.

Are you by chance streaming video to any LCD HDTVs?  Like the HP 47" 1080P?

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/366142-0-0-225-121.html

Looks very cool.

Cheers,

Sasha

Hi Sasha,

I've seen demos of the MSS streaming to the HP MediaSmart TVs you linked, it works great! They had a demo at CES last Jan. You'd figure HP would want their products to work well together. Smile

Alex

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:57 PM