Live Mesh missing on XP Pro after latest Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• I have two XP Pro systems on Live Mesh (and two Vista systems, which are working OK). Both XP systems are remote, and one can be accessed via VPN.

Both XP systems now show as offline on the devices page - all was well until the latest Windows Update.

Logging in to the VPN system with Windows Remote Desktop shows no Live Mesh in the notification area.

Running Live Mesh manually (Start / All Programs / Live Mesh / Live Mesh) gives an error indicating that MoeMonitor.exe is no longer on the system.

What has happened?
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:33 PM

Answers

• I did the LiveMesh.exe /repair, and it is running again. Even though it was a "repair" all the Live Mesh folders were re-created and their entire contents re-downloaded...
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:59 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 11:56 PM

All replies

• Update: The non-VPN system is back online - it must have been a local power failure.

On the VPN system I attempted to install Live Mesh, but this failed because another version was already installed - I was instructed to remove this from Add/Remove Progams.

The uninstall fails with a "fatal error", leaving me with a system that I cannot either Add or Remove Live Mesh from. Ugly!

This system was rebooted (from Live Mesh Remote Desktop) following the Windows Update. Could there have been a Live Mesh update in progress when the reboot was done?
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 7:52 PM
  • Hi, Dave.
    There haven't been any Live MEsh updates in quite some time now, so I don't know what caused it to break on your system
    I'll paste the section from the Known Issues pinned post for how to manually remove Live Mesh so that you can reinstall it.
    Live Mesh folders and folder synchronization

Issue: Live Mesh is not installed or is installed partially and the customer sees a dialogue stating that Live Mesh cannot install because it is already installed.  Customer is not able to uninstall Live Mesh.

Cause: This experience is typically caused by an interruption in the normal installation process leaving the Registry in a state where certain entries are not removed or added properly.

Possible Workarounds: The Live Mesh installer, LiveMesh.exe, can be used with switches from a command line to install, uninstall, or repair Live Mesh. Note: sometimes you may need to repair the Live Mesh installation before uninstalling it.

Using LiveMesh.exe switches
              1. Download the LiveMesh.exe installer
              2. Navigate to http://www.mesh.com/ and log in using your Live ID
              3. Click on the Devices tab
              4. Select Add Device
              5. Select your platform choice then click Install
              6. Pick the option to Save (remember this location)
         If you are installing on Vista, you will need to run these switches from an Elevated Command Prompt.
              1. Click on Start
              2. Select All Programs
              3. Select Accessories
              4. Click on Command Prompt (Please note: if you are installing on a Windows Vista computer, you will need to right-click and select Run
                  as administrator)
              5. Once you are in your Command Window navigate to the location that you saved the LiveMesh.exe installer and type one of the following:
                      LiveMesh.exe /repair (assumes the product was already installed or needs to be repaired)
                      LiveMesh.exe /uninstall (removes the product)
                      LiveMesh.exe (no switch, installs the product)

If installing/uninstalling from a Command Prompt does not work, you may need to manually remove the Live Mesh Registry entries.

Manually editing the Registry
               1. Click Start
    . Click Run
               3. Type Regedit and hit Enter (if you are on Vista you will need to agree to a UAC prompt)
               4. In the Registry Editor remove the following Registry entries:
                     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products\9D1E4BCD781B45B479E1418784C5A935
                     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\<YOURSID>\Products
                     \9D1E4BCD781B45B479E1418784C5A935   (NOTE:  <YOURSID> value will be unique to you.)

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Thanks, Stephen. As there were no updates, I'm left with the possibility that rebooting the system via Live Mesh Remote Desktop may be implicated. The system in question is in an unattended location, so there is no possibility of a user deleting anything. I'll leave it alone for a few days, just in case someone from Microsoft wants to look for clues, and then I'll re-install...
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Have you tried remoting back in and rebooting again? I wonder if the profile corrupted on reboot.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:01 PM
  • The folder "C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Application Data\Microsoft" does not contain a folder named "Live Mesh" - which seems to be where everything should be - and it is not in the recycle bin. Looks like everything got deleted somehow!
    Monday, October 19, 2009 7:08 PM
  • I did the LiveMesh.exe /repair, and it is running again. Even though it was a "repair" all the Live Mesh folders were re-created and their entire contents re-downloaded...
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:59 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 11:56 PM
  • If the folders were still in the same location as before, Mesh just verfies the files have the same checksum hash as before, if it doesn't then it considers the file to be out of data and updates it accordingly.

But sounds like all is working ok now though!

-Ken
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:00 PM
  • The folders were re-created in a different location - I had moved them from the default one on the initial install, and I had forgotten about this. The process was a little confusing, and I ended up with an extra copy of them.

I was confused because:

Initially the old folders for their cyan coloration back, and I thought, "Good, it's found them"

Then some new folders, with " 1" appended to the name, showed up, also in cyan. I tried clicking on one of these, and told Live Mesh to sync it (to the default location).

The old folder disappeared, and the new folder took on the old folder's name (they were all sitting on the desktop, so I'm pretty sure that this is what happened). I thought, "Good, it's matched them up and realized that they are the same".

I synced up all the rest of the new folders.

I then noticed that the Mesh was busy, and, on checking, found that it was doing the re-download. Discretion being the better part of valour, I decided to leave it alone!
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:20 PM