Live Search Thinks My Site is in United Arab Emirates RRS feed

• Question

• How do I fix this this? Under country/region it shows my site, http://www.techclinic.com, as a AE. This is the code for United Arab Emirates. It should be a US site. As a consequence I do not show up for any keywords that I know I should be showing up for. Is it something in the HTML code, server/hosting settings, or MSN?
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:59 PM

Answers

• I think I have solved this mystery. After spending the better half of the whole day experimenting, researching, adding sites, etc... Anyway, here's what I believe it is. Recently GoDaddy changed their control panels/interface. I believe that this transition caused some data to be incorrectly designated within the WHOIS database. Specifically the COUNTRY field. Mind you I checked the registration info a few times at different times all day for multiple domains using both WHOIS info and the GoDaddy CP without noticing or paying attention to the COUNTRY field. Anyway in my case the country was set to URUGUAY. Well when looking at LIVE.com's options in the advanced search the list of countries does NOT contain URUGUAY. So using some logic I assume that their system automatically tries to choose the country alphabetically and in my case the next logical choice is U.A.E (United Arab Emirates) .... country code AE........ Man if this fixes it I will be so happy but at the same time I will feel foolish for not finding the solution sooner. I never expected that GoDaddy would perform such a change where which it can affect my registration / contact WHOIS info.. So guys and gals look into this yourselves and see if your situation is similar. Needless to say I have updated the contact info for my domains.
    Friday, April 4, 2008 3:03 AM

All replies

• I am going to have to look into this.  The Locale sometimes will show up differently when the site is hosted off shore.  Any possibility that you have hosting in the UAE?  I will pass this around and see if there is anything we can figure out.

Jeremiah

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:43 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in answering. This is still a problem. The site is hosted in the US. I have other sites on the same dedicated server and this does not happen to them. I have sent numerous emails to support and I don't think they get it. The site is still designated as AE and as a result will not come up for US based searches that it should. I thought it was fixed a couple of months ago right after I started emailing them, then suddenly about a couple of days ago same thing. Still AE and still not on search results for US. Ohh, but if you go ahead specify the region when searching it comes up just fine but that's useless as I don't do business in the United ARab Emirates...LOL.... This is not an issue with backlinks, SEO, etc... It is REALLY a problem with the fact that the LIVE thinks the site is an AE site. So it doesn't even bother to include it in US results.
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:49 PM
  • I think I have solved this mystery. After spending the better half of the whole day experimenting, researching, adding sites, etc... Anyway, here's what I believe it is. Recently GoDaddy changed their control panels/interface. I believe that this transition caused some data to be incorrectly designated within the WHOIS database. Specifically the COUNTRY field. Mind you I checked the registration info a few times at different times all day for multiple domains using both WHOIS info and the GoDaddy CP without noticing or paying attention to the COUNTRY field. Anyway in my case the country was set to URUGUAY. Well when looking at LIVE.com's options in the advanced search the list of countries does NOT contain URUGUAY. So using some logic I assume that their system automatically tries to choose the country alphabetically and in my case the next logical choice is U.A.E (United Arab Emirates) .... country code AE........ Man if this fixes it I will be so happy but at the same time I will feel foolish for not finding the solution sooner. I never expected that GoDaddy would perform such a change where which it can affect my registration / contact WHOIS info.. So guys and gals look into this yourselves and see if your situation is similar. Needless to say I have updated the contact info for my domains.
    Friday, April 4, 2008 3:03 AM