locked
Tracking member changes in a marketing list using CRM 3.0? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Is it possible to track which users have been added / removed from a marketing list using the callout model in CRM 3.0? The MSDN site suggests that the listmember is not supported for callout operations http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa680678.aspx, The nearest match is list, however which event would you trap? The PreUpdate / PostUpdate are only applicable to the list entity and not members added / removed from the list. Any pointers would be appreciated.

    Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:43 AM

Answers

  • Well, I just tried to fire a workflow on change of attribute 'membercount' and that did not fire. I would have expected MS to hide it if it could not be an event. Same goes for ModifiedOn which does change when modifying the number of users.

    I would go with another solution:

    Create a windows service that tracks the number of members in a marketing list. Every X minutes it tries to see whether the number of users have changed or whether the modifiedOn data has changed. You may potentially have to store an array of members per marketing list and compare before and after modification. Alternately you could always write to an xml file/sql table every time it is updated. Ugly solution I know but seems you're stuck on this one.

    Let me know how you go ahead.

    Cheers,

    Karlo
    Monday, September 22, 2008 9:07 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    The Marketing List (list) is modified when a user is added/removed from a list. (Remove a user from a Marketing list and the 'modifiedon' date will change.

    I would imagine you would need to tap into the pre-update callout to determine the users that exists vs users that do not exists after the update.

    Good luck, I've had some nightmares about Marketing lists and Campaign Templates with regard to callouts before.

    Karlo


    Friday, September 19, 2008 7:42 PM
  • Karlo,

     

    Many thanks for the suggestion, I had tried using both methods suggested on a list entity but that didn't work. This led me to believe that when you add or remove a member to a list what is actually happening in the background is a user is being added or removed from a listmember and this doesn't change the list entity and so the Pre and Post methods of the list entity do not execute.

     

    Can what I'm trying to achieve be done using some kind of workflow??

     

    Ali

    Monday, September 22, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Well, I just tried to fire a workflow on change of attribute 'membercount' and that did not fire. I would have expected MS to hide it if it could not be an event. Same goes for ModifiedOn which does change when modifying the number of users.

    I would go with another solution:

    Create a windows service that tracks the number of members in a marketing list. Every X minutes it tries to see whether the number of users have changed or whether the modifiedOn data has changed. You may potentially have to store an array of members per marketing list and compare before and after modification. Alternately you could always write to an xml file/sql table every time it is updated. Ugly solution I know but seems you're stuck on this one.

    Let me know how you go ahead.

    Cheers,

    Karlo
    Monday, September 22, 2008 9:07 PM