Any control over duplicaiton?? RRS feed

• Question

• I now havE a primary 1.5tb disk, and 2 750gb disk in my storage pool, so assumed any duplicaiton I had would be mirrored on each disk.. Ive since learnt that the system only duplicates the shared folders once.. so you have 2 copies in total...

Do you have any control over this??  Or do I then have to use the backup funciton to backup to a non pooled disk (backup drive)....

Thanks

DrSoton
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:41 AM

Answers

• No. Windows Home Server will keep two copies of a file, on two separate disks, if duplication is enabled for the share in which that file resides. Otherwise it keeps one copy. There is no way to alter this behavior.

You may use the Server Share backup tool that was introduced with Power Pack 1 if you want to back up your files to external storage. I would recommend some such arrangement, as duplication only protects against single disk failure (admittedly the most common failure mode for computers). To protect against external issues (fire, flood, theft, etc.) you should take a copy of your shares off-site on a regular basis.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, February 2, 2009 3:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DrSoton Monday, February 2, 2009 10:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by DrSoton Monday, February 2, 2009 10:10 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 3:51 PM

All replies

• No. Windows Home Server will keep two copies of a file, on two separate disks, if duplication is enabled for the share in which that file resides. Otherwise it keeps one copy. There is no way to alter this behavior.

You may use the Server Share backup tool that was introduced with Power Pack 1 if you want to back up your files to external storage. I would recommend some such arrangement, as duplication only protects against single disk failure (admittedly the most common failure mode for computers). To protect against external issues (fire, flood, theft, etc.) you should take a copy of your shares off-site on a regular basis.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, February 2, 2009 3:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DrSoton Monday, February 2, 2009 10:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by DrSoton Monday, February 2, 2009 10:10 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 3:51 PM
  • I agree with Ken.
    I have a total of 8 hard drives making up 3TB of storage.  I currently have just over 1 TB of saved music/video/pictures/user backups.
    I have a 9th drive, an external esata 750GB hard drive that sits on top of the home server.  This was not added to the storage pool but as a backup drive. 
    Once a week I run a backup to this drive and suprisingly 1 TB gets backed up in 370GB. 
    Works very well and doesn't take long at all after the main backup is done.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Seems like the best practice...

Thanks
    DrSoton
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:09 PM